We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Oxwall Update | Forum

Omari
Omari Sep 12 '17
Facebook's Open Graph life cycle comes to an end on October 9th, where a new upgrade will be introduced. 

If any senior or core developers at Oxwall glance this thread, please note this may affect the Facebook Connect plugin. Even if the core is stable for now, this at least needs to be checked.

While on the topic, I want to emphasize the importance of communication in any development and open source project. Whereby even if resources are unavailable to continue active development of the Oxwall platform this should in some form be communicated to the userbase and developers.

We may be able to be part of the solution or to help in any way we can. 

Oxwall has come too far, people have invested much of their time and effort into making what Oxwall what it is today.We cannot let it slip away silently into the night. 

This is great software and it can continue to be a huge resource when used by the right people.

Even if Oxwall core the has not generated the commercial and financial success founders and core devlopers hoped, don't worry. 

Sometimes it takes years to get a big break and sometimes we need to re-examine our approach and marketability.

Sometimes we can't just depend on donations, but we need to reconstruct a fair trade model for developers and platform users alike.

JB TECH
JB TECH Sep 13 '17
While other developers who still make plugins and are known to be part of the "Oxwall Foundation" have stated they're doing development but just don't have the resources to get big updates out, I believe that the project has probably just gone. Granite, the website is still up and running and all, and it seems like store moderation is still doing their job but for an entire year, which should be stressed, there have been no updates, no new info or "hellos" on any of the social media profiles, nothing. Not even a new security or bug patch or anything.

The saddest part is how they commercialized Oxwall with the whole oxwall.com and ended up reverting from a "foundation" back to just being the Skalfa team trying to sell their product. I understand a company needs to get paid and all, but the idea of running an open-source, free software project is to have it be just that. Wall.fm was their first commercialized attempt for Oxwall, and it was going well until they removed free versions completely. They made 'oxwall.com' and now they have hardly made a peep over an entire year (which personally makes me feel like they lost money on that move). However, it seems like their completely commercial Skadate software has been going steady still. What with it having iOS/Android mobile apps, built in features such as site-wide search and user locations, a more functional mobile version website, etc.

A little bit of a rant, but hey everyone follows where the money goes. If my beliefs hold any fruition as to Oxwall being dead, I'm sure there's enough community leaders and enthusiasts who are more than willing to take over the software and push out updates, changes, etc. Sorta like how Mozilla handed off development of Thunderbird to the community.