We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Captcha Issue (Not A Repeat) | Forum

Lisa
Lisa Sep 20 '12

I searched the forum but don't see where other users have had this identical problem, so please read before answering...

Our Captcha has been functioning properly since our site launched in February, but it was recently brought to our attention that it is now not displaying images in any browsers. I do not believe it is an issue with the GD Library or TTF since the Captcha functioned properly before.

Could a recent plugin have caused this problem?

I'd also like to know if it is possible to disable captcha entirely (at least over the short-term) until this issue is resolved.

Please assist...

Alia Team
Alia Sep 21 '12
Lisa, can you contact your hosting support team and make 100% sure that GD library is installed and TTF fonts are supported? There might have been some update on your server and this could have caused the issue.

It is possible to disable captcha entirely. This requires custom code modification.

Lisa
Lisa Sep 21 '12
Just to clarify - it turned out this was an issue with one of Paul's plugin that he has since corrected. :) Thanks, Paul
Joseph
Joseph Sep 21 '12
see Allia I helped a member debug this issue last night why would we go through the trouble of contacting our hosts when honestly I think the problem should have been most obvious "check your most recent changes anytime an error occurs"
Lisa
Lisa Sep 22 '12
Good point, Joseph - a lesson I'm learning the hard way.... lol but a valuable lesson.
Joseph
Joseph Sep 22 '12
Lisa I am normally available to help debug and solve issues I am learning as well but been doing it a while now and no offense to oxwall team they will never really give you what you need in fact i don't remember the last time I got an issue solved by asking them and I ask them a lot so that alone says something
Lisa
Lisa Sep 22 '12
Thank you Joseph and Paul - guys like you are a lifesaver!

Alia Team
Alia Sep 24 '12
Joseph, I will keep that in mind. We try to help our software users as fast as we can, but it is just not possible to process all requests fast enough. That is why we've created this forum, so that users can help each other. And this case proved once more that this approach works just perfectly.  Thank you guys for your help ) .
joey
joey Oct 9 '12
I just installed this software on my site and noticed that the captcha image isn't loading for me either. I checked with my provider and gd library as well as ttf fonts are active. Can you explain in more detail how you fixed it?
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Try to disable the plugins that you recently activated and then check it out.
joey
joey Oct 9 '12

I just did a fresh install and its still not showing up.

joey
joey Oct 9 '12
Ok, I just checked again with my provider and he confired that gd library and ttf fonts are on and I still do not get a captchya pic. Any other ideas. Did a complete fresh install and still nothing.
Alia Team
Alia Oct 10 '12
Joey, can you PM me your site URL along with access cPanel, FTP and admin panel access details.
joey
joey Oct 10 '12
Problem is resolved. Seems its an issue with php 5.3 and captcha. I moved my site to a server running 5.2 and it works now.
joey
joey Oct 15 '12
I cant remember the exact version I think it was 5.316 but can't swear to it. I just know that when they moved my site to a 5.2 server it worked fine.
Jochen
Jochen Nov 13 '12
NEARLY the same issue - In the new browsers, Firefox 16......   as well
as in   ie version 8  I cannot see the captcha images.  Using older browsers it works fine.
I checked it with PHP 5.2  and  PHP 5.3    but still the same > old browsers work, new browsers dont !

Anyone an idea ? 

Thanks in advance, Jochen
Jochen
Jochen Nov 14 '12
Noone ?

So, does anybody know  how to disable the captcha function ?

Would be great, thanks in advance, Jochen

Quote from Jochen NEARLY the same issue - In the new browsers, Firefox 16......   as well
as in   ie version 8  I cannot see the captcha images.  Using older browsers it works fine.
I checked it with PHP 5.2  and  PHP 5.3    but still the same > old browsers work, new browsers dont !

Anyone an idea ? 

Thanks in advance, Jochen

Alia Team
Alia Nov 15 '12
Jochen, I will check the issue in specified browser and will let you know the results shortly.

Check this topic  http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/6586 ; for instructions on how to disable CAPTCHA.
Alia Team
Alia Nov 15 '12
I have tested in Firefox 16.0.2 - captcha was working.
Tested in IE8- captcha was working.
Did you test on your site? Can you test at demo.oxwall.org as well?
Jochen
Jochen Nov 15 '12
Dear Aliia,   for FF 16.2    and   IE 8 ,  both on win-vista  and on  win-xp, see attached files,  I go crazy !  You can try on my site at  www.rltreff.de/community/    ; best regards and thanks in advance, Jochen
Attachments:
  ff1602-vista.gif (135.04Kb)
  ie8-vista.gif (128.86Kb)
Pages: 1 2 »