We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Coming to Oxwall from Dolphin 7 | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Jason
Jason Oct 1 '12
Hi everyone!  I decided to give Oxwall a try, because I am building a simple online community for the community I live in.  I loved the features of Dolphin, but found it complicated to structure.  Oxwall seems much more straight forward and 'clean.'  I am having a few problems, though :(  The username field will not let me check off the boxes to add it it to the profile view; even though it says it should be checked on the right hand side and I want it checked.  Any one else have this problem? It is better that we have user names showing in the profile rather than a first name -- there could be 100 Jason's for example.

A little confused on how I change some of the default language that appears on the site.  I found how to change the info and quick link on the right, but the top left text I've yet to find.

Other than that, it seems easy to use for an administrator, but I think a bit complicated for the end user.  I don't see (or haven't realized/noticed) any real "profile" menu tab for the user, rather than perhaps the dashboard which I think could confuse non tech/web savvy people.

Only other thing (sorry this is so long!) that I miss and would like to figure out how to add is the promo pictures that you can post to the homepage of your Dolphin site which rotate.  Adds a little extra dimension to the site.... any ideas?

Oh...okay, I lied, ONE MORE THING.... To try and help fund the site I wanted to allow people to pay one time for the ability to post unlimited classified ads... I see there is something for subscriptions, but I do not see anything on here for payment gateways, etc., built in.  I hate to keep referencing Dolphin, but between that and WorldGroup it is all I am familiar with.

I like Oxwall, I'd love to use it, but I could really use a little help from someone a bit more seasoned than I.

Thanks much!

Jason

Abbey
Abbey Oct 1 '12
Hi Jason, welcome to oxwall, If you need help feel free to message me directly.
Den Team
Den Oct 2 '12
Topic was moved from General Chat.
Alia Team
Alia Oct 3 '12

Jason, welcome )

>>The username field will not let me check off the boxes to add it it to the profile view.

Username is a system field. If you would like to show it on profile view page you will need to modify the code. Though I don't recommend doing so, since this will make it easy to hack user's accounts ( if their username is publicly visible on profile page).

>>I found how to change the info and quick link on the right, but the top left text I've yet to find.

Which text do you mean?

>> how to add is the promo pictures that you can post to the homepage of your Dolphin site which rotate.

You can either modify the code OR you can add "Custom text/HTML" block on needed page. Instead of text you can paste some kind of i-frame where images will be rotating. You can also upload images using "Photo" widget, mark your images as featured and move "Photo" widget to the visible place on your main page. This way your images will be more visible as well.

>>I see there is something for subscriptions, but I do not see anything on here for payment gateways, etc., built in.

Oxwall doesn't come with default payment gateways. You can get needed payment gateway plug in on Oxwall store (http://www.oxwall.org/store) .