We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

MESSAGE LEDS DISPLAY plugin not updating customisable messages - MESSAGE LEDS DISPLAY | Forum

Michael
Michael May 26 '18
On Oxwall 1.8.4 the plugin installed ok. However when the messages were customised using the Language system plugin which is linked to from the Message Leds Display plugin admin console, it did not update and the display but broke it.

Why the developer didn't create a database table for storing the variables and use cron to update the values if they must be written to the xml.

Seems a very simple improvement and will make the plugin useable.

Sumate
Sumate May 26 '18
The plugin has been tested and does not make that error
Michael
Michael May 26 '18

Quote from Sumate The plugin has been tested and does not make that error
I had installed it on my website and it does. I have oxwall 1.8.4, give me a demo link where you have it working on the 1.8.4 version and give me demo access to test it.

It doesn't work properly on my installation, never had this kind of problem with a plugin before.

Michael
Michael May 26 '18
Ok after extensive testing I have the following observations to make.

The plugin is very nicely designed. The usability is limited since it has not got a dedicated admin setting area and relies only on the rather tedious language text label admin area.

I noticed that making more than one change or even updating with a bigger chunk of text causes the plugin to reduce the LED DISPLAY on the main page and dashboard to go into a single black line as it attempts to load the new content.

It remains like that indefinitely.

I had to uninstall and reinstall to get back to the default text content for the LED DISPLAY.

After experiencing the erratic behaviour of the plugin over and over again.

It became clear that the best way to handle an update without breaking the plugin is not to update it at all.

But if you really must, which is most of us who bought it, then do the following

1. Make only one change to the Language area for the LED DISPLAY plugin

2. Don't refresh your page, let it update itself. I know it makes no sense but this was the result of my testing. Any time I "impatiently" updated the page either dashboard or main page, before the plugin itself had updated the scrolling text itself, it broke.

3. Don't use msg3. It has a full stop in as default but seems not to like being used. It  developed an error each time I tried to use it.

4. Don't make any more updates to your scrolling text, but most of us will, so if you must keep the text short and to the point, no "weird" cut and paste block of text.

To the developer:

1. Provide us with the recommend string length of messages for msg 2 and msg 3.

2. Develop an update and build a table which can take the text be updated in a simple form. This is standard CMS design and makes the life of users of your plugin that much better, it does mean you have to code a little more.

3. Customer is always right. I tested this extensively not only in on scenario but multiple scenarios, string lengths, browser types. If someone says your software is not working for them don't just deny it but give them the benefit of the doubt until the evidence proves it one way or the other.

Thanks for developing a pretty awesome plugin despite the issues with it.

The Forum post is edited by Michael May 26 '18
Sumate
Sumate May 26 '18
Friend, my accessories cost 5 dollars because I have little free time, so I create accessories that do not have complexity. I will try to improve it later. Greetings and thanks for your purchase.

I published in the post of changes the following

Version V3 14/05/18

-Added support for the native mobile version of oxwall. ¨¨Please reinstall the plugin¨¨

The Forum post is edited by Sumate May 26 '18
Michael
Michael May 28 '18
Thank you for your candour. It is an excellent plugin for the price actually.

I see a lot of potential. 

1. RSS integration where it reads from the RSS plugin xml or you create your own xml

2. Customisation of font, font colour and background.

3. Customisation of speed of display

4. Sound

5. Cron updates for real time breaking news

Big fans of your plugin. Despite it not working for me and I have now uninstalled it.

The Forum post is edited by Michael May 28 '18
Sumate
Sumate Jan 4 '19
Look de new version.Grettings

Changelogs

You do not have permission to reply this topic