We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Hide the "Change Role" button on "My Profile" page | Forum

Tom
Tom Oct 17 '12
I would like to find a way to hide the "Change Role" button on the "My Profile" page.  I assumed that roles would work in the same way as they do for a database and that the administrator (DBA) assigns roles for all users.  By having the button on the My Profile page, the user can change the role to anything they would like. 

I would like to have Admin and Moderator roles so that I can label their avatars as such, but I don't want any user to makes themselves appear to be an administrator or moderator.

I would expect this to be part of the Admin interface, but I have not found a place to change this yet.  Any help in make this configuration change would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments:
  Change_Role_Buttons_1.png (137.03Kb)
  Change_Role_Buttons_2.png (151.1Kb)
Tom
Tom Oct 17 '12
OW Visuals - Thanks for your reply.  This is what I would have expected.  After investigating it further, now I think I've tracked down the actual bug.

When you assign the Admin role to a user and then unassign that role from the user, they are still able to see the "Change Role"  button in My Profile and they're able to customize the Forum page. I tested with a user that has never been assigned the Admin or Moderator roles and she does not have these options available. 

I can easily get around this issue by not assigning Admin and Moderator roles to users that do not deserve them.  This is a bug that should be put into the queue to be fixed.  It will likely be a big security risk for other sites.

Tom
The Forum post is edited by Tom Oct 17 '12
Alia Team
Alia Oct 18 '12
Tom, I wasn't able to reproduce this issue on my installation of Oxwall.

Here is what I did.

1. created "test1" user and made him moderator in admin panel (screenshotattached).
  Loged in as this user and was able to see "Change Role" button and "Customize this page" on forum.

2. I deleted "test1" user from the list of moderators.
 Loged in as this user and wasn't able to see "Change Role" button and "Customize this page" on forum.

3. I added "test1" user to the list of moderators again.
  Loged in as this user and was able to see "Change Role" button and "Customize this page" on forum.

4. I have tested with couple of old users and didn't face any issues as well.

Can you PM me your admin panel username and pass so that I can check the issue on your site? Thank you.
Tom
Tom Oct 19 '12
Hi Aliia,

Thanks So Much for your Help.  I added a new user and went through all of the steps to reproduce the issue to show you.  In the process I figured out how the Moderator permissions worked and what each one controlled. 

I have a screen shot showing the parts that I dd not understand.

One surprise was that when a moderator has permissions for Forums, they can not only moderate the forum, put they can also modify the forum page.  This seems like it should be two different functions.

I would like to have moderators that can police the types of messages posted, but I don't want them to be able to modify the actual forum page.  This is something that should be considered for a future release.

Thanks Again,

Tom
Attachments:
  \"Change Role\"_Issue_Resolved.jpg (324.58Kb)
Alia Team
Alia Oct 23 '12
>>permissions for Forums, they can not only moderate the forum, put they can also modify the forum page.  This seems like it should be two different functions.

That is the way this feature was designed to work.
You can post a suggestion to improve it here http://oxwall.uservoice.com/forums/13756-ideas-for-oxwall

From your screen shot:
1. Base- these check boxes allow editing on profile page.
That is right, moderators help admin to manage users and their roles. So moderator can change the role of other users and he can change his own role. But the role he changes there is not connected to the permissions set under Privacy&Permissions.

2.Forum.
That is the way the software currently works. If you would like to improve it you can post a suggestion on Uservoice (link was given above).

Other then that do you still face the issue with "Change Role" appearing even if the user is not a moderator? Let me know if something is unclear.