We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Adding a new page to Oxwall | Forum

Lucas
Lucas Dec 10 '18
I want to add another page to Oxwall but I'm not totally in the known about its structure. My installation has the pages My Profile - Dashboard - Members - Photo - Video, I want to add another link to a page on the side of Video.
JB TECH
JB TECH Dec 10 '18
Go into Admin > Pages, and there you can create a new one and drag it's link location next to where "Video" is.
Lucas
Lucas Dec 10 '18

Quote from Jake - JB TECH Oxwall Support Go into Admin > Pages, and there you can create a new one and drag it's link location next to where "Video" is.
And regarding it's modification, is there a place inside said the Admin structure as well? I have a client-side application I want to add to that.
Lucas
Lucas Dec 14 '18
Quote from Chris_W

Sure, but where all my other stacks go to? I have Javascript, CSS? Am I supposed to make all of it inline to make it work with Oxwall? I would think that there is a place where I can access the actual file for that HTML page where I can just insert things there myself? All Oxwall folders I found in my server are empty, and I don't get why, since the thing is working.

In other words, where in the file structure of Oxwall in a server I can find it?

The Forum post is edited by Lucas Dec 14 '18
JB TECH
JB TECH Dec 14 '18

You can't just make a .html file that uses all of the components, something like that would require a custom plugin. The software is in an MVC structure: all pages get structured from smarty based off of each plugin, both external and system plugins. Most Javascript and CSS should work fine in that box (it's not really just limited to HTML). However there is no structure for just conventional plain-text/html files in the software, because it again uses a routing system that structures the view based on the request, hence why you see no pages or files like that in the source.

-Jake

Lucas
Lucas Dec 15 '18

Quote from Jake - JB TECH Oxwall Support

You can't just make a .html file that uses all of the components, something like that would require a custom plugin. The software is in an MVC structure: all pages get structured from smarty based off of each plugin, both external and system plugins. Most Javascript and CSS should work fine in that box (it's not really just limited to HTML). However there is no structure for just conventional plain-text/html files in the software, because it again uses a routing system that structures the view based on the request, hence why you see no pages or files like that in the source.

-Jake

I could test this myself, but unfortunately the server where this is up is tied up to the University I'm working at, and their VPN doesn't work, I don't do my work all there, quite the opposite, so I can't keep testing it live in there, and at the moment I don't have another system installed to test it in my house (if this project picks up I'll install a copy here, of course).

OK, so, reiterating so I can see what exactly I'm dealing with. I have a front-end stack application, it's a lot of Javascript, a lot of CSS (around 1k lines each), and a very simple HTML structure with some tables. Am I not allowed to put this HTML under the Oxwall HTML structure, and then point to Javascript/CSS files somewhere in the server to make the application work without a custom plugin?

The Forum post is edited by Lucas Dec 15 '18
JB TECH
JB TECH Dec 16 '18

Using just the native Oxwall HTML editor for pages, you can create any content that would work as if it were in the <body> of a document. So, you can paste your HTML into the box, and try to see if linking to your Javascript and CSS on an external with a tag such as <link href=""> will grab the code and utilize it correctly.

However, depending on your script, the JS may be a header-based code, which means it needs to be linked before the document gets rendered (so in the <head> tags) and if that's the case, I don't believe it will work correctly in this setup.

Alternatively, however, you can link to that CSS and Javascript file by going to Admin > Page Settings, where you should find boxes for custom header and tail Javascript, meta, and CSS codes. This will allow your custom page to get that information, but the downside is it uses that code across your entire Oxwall website, so it will always load in those files on any page.

Hope this helps.

-Jake

Lucas
Lucas Dec 18 '18
Mmm, this is helpful, yeah, specially the notion of <head> vs <body> on Oxwall HTML, that's exactly what I needed to understand to see how to go about it. Now I know exactly what I'm dealing with. Thanks a bunch, Jake.

Best,

Lucas

The Forum post is edited by Lucas Dec 18 '18
sijiv31759
sijiv31759 May 1 '22
Gli appassionati accetteranno le nuove tecnologie con entusiasmo. Di solito non lo cercheranno, ma saranno ansiosi di incorporarlo nei loro processi, ove appropriato. Come risultato della loro apertura,come scoprire un tradimento a distanza spesso impareranno prontamente come utilizzare la nuova tecnologia e potrebbero anche essere utili per assistere gli altri durante il processo di apprendimento.
Gerardo
Gerardo Nov 15 '23
I suppose I'm addicted to vue vs react. It can function in ways that no other website can. There are no complaints!