We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

You can now update your oxwall again (version 1.8.5) | Forum

Marco
Marco Feb 2 '19

Hello All,

Let me tell you in short. English is not my default language so i hope you understand. We have several websites with oxwall and updated that version for php 7 and fixed bugs. But we see no movement from oxwall and we hate to see it go down further and further. So we will make available for all oxwall users and we hope to see to get this community going again.

Very proud of my team and i'm happy to tell you all that we made it possible to update oxwall again.
In this topic i asked for testers:
https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/63705?page=1#post-235035

and with the testers we did find just one bug that is solved now.
In this topic you can also read that we keep it open source etc etc.

It was for us a strange focus to go back to the default version 1.8.4 but that is really the way where we need to start. and then with little steps update oxwall platform on a regular base. We try at least once a month a new update.

The big question is now: What do i need to do to update oxwall again with new versions? Well its not that difficult and you can read all about it here:

https://chamial.com/docs/faq/oxwall-to-chamial/

FYI: Its only for platform update (latest was in 2016)
The default oxwall plugins and 3th party plugins will still update trough the normal system. So you don't have to worry that your plugins are not updating or not working.

If any question just let me know!

The Forum post is edited by Marco Mar 8 '19
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Feb 3 '19

It sounds very bad and does not inspire any confidence.

You do not know who is behind this team, it is not on GitHub and it promises and promises and promises things ... Rare.

There is no way to see what you are going to install, just a patch that leaves your system open to install whatever chamial you want. A new Trojan?

The web chamial.com is still half done. Maybe it's just a person, or I do not know, we do not know anything, but prestige, prestige of someone who has collaborated in this forum, who has published a plugin or something, because I do not see it.

A newcomer that promises us paradise for free.

There have already been more attempts to improve OxWall: OwEngine, OxWallplus ... All abandoned.There are also clones that have modified OxWall a bit and sell it to you as the best thing in the world: crea8social and skadate, for example.There are many errors of OxWall corrected in GitHub and impressive things like registering and editing your profile from the mobile version, but there is not published an "update" that facilitates installing the improvements. I have all installed them manually except for the change of coding in the database and it works perfectly with PHP 5.6x up to PHP 7.0x.With PHP 7.1x no plugin, no OxWall core or anything works.

There have already been more attempts to improve OxWall: OwEngine, OxWallplus ... All abandoned.There are also clones that have modified OxWall a bit and sell it to you as the best thing in the world: crea8social and skadate, for example.There are many errors of OxWall corrected in GitHub and impressive things like registering and editing your profile from the mobile version, but there is not published an "update" that facilitates installing the improvements. I have all installed them manually except for the change of coding in the database and it works perfectly with PHP 5.6x up to PHP 7.0x.With PHP 7.1x no plugin, no OxWall core or anything works.

ArtMedia
ArtMedia Feb 3 '19

oxwall plus isn't abandoned, last commit 21 days ago (https://github.com/toar86/oxwallplus/),

but now is slow develop, because i have other commercial projects and must earn for life.

Marco
Marco Feb 3 '19

I understand your message Patricia. The code is on github available for you. Just let us know and we can give you access to it. We just need some time to sort all things right on github. We now have one repository and we are putting the install, patches and plugins in different repository's.

As what you say abt what to install you are right. You have to trust us, and we sure wont install anything else then oxwall code. We will next time also make the patch available for download so you can check the patch. We are also learning of this valuable feedback.

We did some plugins in the past for oxwall just found a older forum post where we all explain that. The last years we focused us on wordpress plugins (https://www.dreamfoxmedia.com) and now we are focusing on oxwall because we believe in it.

But like i said we understand your confidence but we will work hard to gain that trust and believe in us. Lets see some months further and then lets talk again.

Oh and the website we all explained that also transparent in the post.

We are not the bad guys but just the good ;-))

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Feb 3 '19

For me it will be a pleasure to collaborate in what I can.

But it is logical to distrust if you have to install "updates" from unknown authors that you do not know what files they modify.

I can not see why it explains a project parallel to OxWall instead of supporting OxWall on its public GitHub.

That the authors say that they are very good does not work, the others have to say it.

I'm not saying they're not good, I say we do not know.

We all have here a social network with members that has cost us a lot of time and enthusiasm to raise and can not recommend "install this for free" without knowing what it is ... Better to share the information of the changes on GitHub, or at least download the necessary files to be able to compare them with WinMerge (or similar) and check that there are no Trojan horses.

Onur
Onur Feb 4 '19
i installed oxwall plus it is good job.  but there is still errors wich should resolve.
Marco
Marco Feb 4 '19

Quote from Patricia Zorrilla Bcn

For me it will be a pleasure to collaborate in what I can.

But it is logical to distrust if you have to install "updates" from unknown authors that you do not know what files they modify.

I can not see why it explains a project parallel to OxWall instead of supporting OxWall on its public GitHub.

That the authors say that they are very good does not work, the others have to say it.

I'm not saying they're not good, I say we do not know.

We all have here a social network with members that has cost us a lot of time and enthusiasm to raise and can not recommend "install this for free" without knowing what it is ... Better to share the information of the changes on GitHub, or at least download the necessary files to be able to compare them with WinMerge (or similar) and check that there are no Trojan horses.

Where do you read that we say we are good? That we don't say we just tell what we do.
I understand what you say on working on oxwall and not parallel. But you know how github works and know the software so you can update yourself.
We at first also thought that everybody can do that but with the testing we learned that users will update trough oxwall system and not via github. Also that if we updated oxwall with the complete package that more people run into problems and giving errors. We had a complete package done with all changes. And therefor we have gone back to the original 1.8.4 version and start from there with the update thingy so everybody can do that and do all the patches modifications, enhancement in small steps so everybody can do the updates themself.

For the patch we will put the next update patch on github so you can download it from there if you do not want to make use of the update system.

Oxwall Germany Club
Oxwall Germany Feb 4 '19
Topic was moved from General Questions.
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Feb 4 '19

I'm still with OxWall, it's working perfectly on my website with 15.000 members and PHP 7.0x. I see no reason to refer to other systems.Expose some improvement on this, but the source code, that's what this forum is for and not to take the OxWall fans to other scripts based on the efforts of the programmers who have contributed for free here.

Marco
Marco Feb 5 '19

hello Patricia,

I understand and i will never ask or force you to use another system. If this is now chamial or any other. You are free to choose what you want and how you use oxwall.

We only say that this is available for people who want to use this. It is everybody's own choice

Oxwall Türkiye
Oxwall Türkiye Feb 6 '19

there was no exact information about this issue.

You should not include unknown resources in your Oxwall folders.

The developer site is simple and does not have the necessary information.

The Oxwall platform attachment file is capable of damaging your system.

The developer community that aims to share the load of Oxwall works at Github / oxwall.

Please do not rely on second-party systems that offer their own work using the oxwall name. This issue will cause you site problems with no return. Personal sites can not provide help ..

You should not obtain resources from outside the Oxwall and Github / Oxwall pages.

Oxwallengine - Oxwall Plus - Oxwall Chamial-like platforms will cause you to exit the next updated package.

He should remember that the live site owners should never provide these transitions.

Marco: What is the answer to an open-source work? Why don't you offer an open source of github for a free platform?

I have read the Oxwall platform update topic.

Oxwall Türkiye
Oxwall Türkiye Feb 6 '19

Quote from Patricia Zorrilla Bcn

I'm still with OxWall, it's working perfectly on my website with 15.000 members and PHP 7.0x. I see no reason to refer to other systems.Expose some improvement on this, but the source code, that's what this forum is for and not to take the OxWall fans to other scripts based on the efforts of the programmers who have contributed for free here.

What is your source for the 1.8.6 package update.

Known update 1.8.4 current version

1.8.5 beta as we know not published

Please, I would appreciate it if you provide an exact source.

We have a large number of friends waiting to respond to existing PHP 7 issues.

NOTE: Please open a forum topic for the current work in php7.

The Forum post is edited by Oxwall Türkiye Feb 6 '19
Marco
Marco Feb 6 '19

Quote from Oxwall Türkiye

Marco: What is the answer to an open-source work? Why don't you offer an open source of github for a free platform?

I have read the Oxwall platform update topic.

Hi,

We have it on github. But not open yet. We are still looking for the best way for braches repositories,etc and the best way to let also other users work on it.

I try, but we all do this beside our regular jobs to open it in the next 14 days.

The next update is coming this weekend.

For our team its also looking for the best way to present this. We tough lets call it oxwall update 18.5. and maybe we must call it chamial version 18.5 if you all think that is better. We only try to help other oxwall users and be transparent in what we do.
Nevertheless iI hope that in this year we can show you all that our intent is good. I understand that people are now hesitating to do so and we really dont want to force users. If you want you can use it and if not its ok with us. We only try to help. 

AppXprt
AppXprt Feb 6 '19
Instead of an update package, do you have a full download for fresh installs?
Marco
Marco Feb 6 '19

Quote from ViXiV Technologies Instead of an update package, do you have a full download for fresh installs?

Yes it will be online also in the next 2 weeks. The full download is ready with all fixes.

We also made a patch to update to this version from oxwall 1.8.4 but with testing with users we noticed that some people did change core files or have 3th party plugins that were giving errors. So thats why i explained we did go back to default 1.8.4 and create a update system so people can update the patches. And now we do all the work again (extra a backup option before updating, this because we don't want anything to go wrong and if so you can revert) just for the users. We only do it in small patches (what will be on github also later) so users dont have to update a big protion but small portions and we can help then and narrow down the problem quicker if something is not working and fix this.

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Feb 6 '19
This theme is of Marco and its dark variant of OxWall, in a selfish way I wish it to go well but I am afraid that when several people meet secretly to do something it is with the intention of charging. I do not like that free open source developments are taken and used as a basis to create a product and then sell it, and less if it disguises as free at first but surely if you start installing "updates" of unknown origin will end in an alley of few people instead of a large avenue.I have limited myself to download the OxWall GitHub source code that is public athttps://github.com/oxwall/oxwall/tree/master
I have made a copy of everything I have running in case something does not go and I have copied all those files on top of my installation without further ado.It gave me some scattered errors in some function calls (PHP 7.0 basically changes that), I installed 7.1 and worse, I tried 7.02 and everything works perfect.I have found that there are many new language keys that I have had to manually add because there is no published "update". I have also found that a much more modern coding of the BD is used but that it only provides improvements for non-European or American languages, so I have kept the current coding.I do not know how OxWall will do an "Update" because I see that they have not done it for too long and thousands of changes have accumulated but what I see with many thousands of members on my website is working very well all, much faster.Especially the mobile version, which already has "edit the profile", "high new member", upload photos from the gallery (also the avatar) ... And with the iDragon Solution Co., Ltd plugins for mobile (super) It looks perfect If someone is encouraged to try to update OxWall manually, I will help you for free. If someone leaves OxWall or chooses a branch based on OxWall, lucky, I will not help you.

Oxwall Türkiye
Oxwall Türkiye Feb 8 '19

The result is not yet a controlled source yet. In this case we cannot recommend transitions as regional user pioneers. It is now very difficult to find answers to mortal errors in personal installation issues.

I think there is no intention in the studies, but there is no controllable source.

I think we should be careful when I see the crap in Oxwallplus and oxwalengine. On our sites we provide custom help for oxwall and we need to master the issues to help you with 3rd party work.

I personally expect to publish an angle source, we cannot approve transitions without evaluation.

The most suitable platform for 3 party open source work is github, I don't think you need to experience a contradiction in this matter.

I look forward to providing a resource as soon as possible.

We support all kinds of work in good faith.

However, we are afraid of short enthusiastic efforts to stop their work and work soon.

Marco
Marco Mar 9 '19
We let users decide self if they want to make use of our system of not.
But for those who did this already:

The last time we released some new versions:
https://chamial.com/chamial/new-release/chamial-version-1-8-6-released/

https://chamial.com/chamial/new-release/chamial-version-1-8-7-released/

https://chamial.com/chamial/new-release/chamial-version-1-8-8-released/

And version 1.8.9 is on its way to finalize the update process. From the 1.9 versions we will update code to latest standards, php 7, and update the libraries.
Oxwall Türkiye
Oxwall Türkiye Mar 13 '19

Hi, Marco,

I just downloaded your update 1.8.8 package and started browsing. But there are a few problems.

1-1.8.5 - Download list of 1.8.6 packages is still closed. I think it contains a server-side installation package.

2-1.8.8. Changing and inserted rows should be added. Many people use a live site, these people have to examine before installing the original package oxwall original installation is forced to do a large part.

This situation is a big problem for us, everything is going well. But your priority should be recorded in CHANGELOG.

You have to see what code was added, what page was added.

I know you're going to complete the deficiencies over time, I've gone through the 3 versions before the problem is complete, yet we are waiting in the 1.8.4 version.

Your request will be to add the 3 version package and the CHANGELOG record.

Marco
Marco Mar 14 '19
hello

Hi, Marco,

I just downloaded your update 1.8.8 package and started browsing. But there are a few problems.

1-1.8.5 - Download list of 1.8.6 packages is still closed. I think it contains a server-side installation package.

2-1.8.8. Changing and inserted rows should be added. Many people use a live site, these people have to examine before installing the original package oxwall original installation is forced to do a large part.

This situation is a big problem for us, everything is going well. But your priority should be recorded in CHANGELOG.

You have to see what code was added, what page was added.

I know you're going to complete the deficiencies over time, I've gone through the 3 versions before the problem is complete, yet we are waiting in the 1.8.4 version.

Your request will be to add the 3 version package and the CHANGELOG record.

Hello Oxwall Turkey,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
Can you please explain what you mean with
1-1.8.5 - Download list of 1.8.6 packages is still closed
Does this mean you can not download it within oxwall admin or can you give url maybe?

About your second point. There are 2 points where you can see what is changed:

1. The commits on the full repository:
https://github.com/chamial/Full/commits/develop
2. The actual update packages:
https://github.com/chamial/Updates/commits/master

The changelog is always found here:
https://issues.chamial.com/changelog_page.php?project_id=1

I will add this info also to our documentation.

Do you know enough now?

Pages: 1 2 »