We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Forum meta description too long!? -Solved | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
hicham hisham
hicham hisham Nov 6 '12
when i check my forum post source code, i notice that the post meta description is too long, in fact the oxwall system take all the article and past it as meta description.. and this is too bad.. how to fix that please!? there is any way to minimize the characters number or lines to display in meta description!?

Note that i use the last oxwall 1.4.1 

The Forum post is edited by Alia Jan 4 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Can you share which tag you are referring here? An example..
Alia Team
Alia Nov 6 '12
Hicham,  meta description for forum topics will be shortened in upcoming build. 
hicham hisham
hicham hisham Nov 7 '12
to Purusothaman Ramanujam : this an article test :

------------------

<meta name="description" content="As we know Jodie Foster won Oscars for her roles in The Accused and Silence of the Lambs. Organisers said the Oscar-winner would be honoured for her 40-year career as an actress, director and film producer. &quot;Her ambition, exuberance and grace have helped pave the way for budding artists in this business,&quot; said the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. She will be presented with the award at a ceremony on 13 January. &quot;Jodie is a multifaceted woman that has achieved immeasurable amounts of success and will continue to do so in her career,&quot; HFPA president Aida Takla-O'Reilly said in a statement. &quot;She's truly one of a kind.&quot; Foster, 49, began her career in television commercials at the age of three and by the age of 10, had appeared in a string of TV shows. She found international fame in 1976 for her Oscar-nominated performance as teenage prostitute Iris in Taxi Driver, and roles as Tallulah in Bugsy Malone and the lead in Freaky Friday. Read The Article
in fact that took all the article.." />
------------------

hicham hisham
hicham hisham Nov 7 '12
To Aliia : ok, but there is no trick for exemple editing something on oxwall system core!?

thank you

Alia Team
Alia Nov 7 '12
Hicham, this requires custom code modification. However as part of the support I can not provide detailed instructions on where and how this can be done.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Edit the below file:

ow_plugins\blogs\controllers\view.php

$post_body = UTIL_String::truncate($post->getPost(), 200, '...');
hicham hisham
hicham hisham Nov 8 '12
thank you Ramanujam for your answer but this didn't do anything... 

im pretty sure the concerning file is : 

ow_plugins/forum/controllers/topic.php

in this code :

OW::getDocument()->setDescription($firstPostText);

My question is where to find the Parameter of this String : firstPostText

or if there is a way to add max Lenght to add in meta description!?

hicham hisham
hicham hisham Nov 8 '12
i think i will wait for the next release before launching my website, this issue is so important as now the search engines need clean websites with clean codes.. i just checked i get the same issue for links area also... i really can't find a clue, i can't find this Strings or a way to add max lenght to the Setdescription... 

it's really sad because i like the easy way to manage the stuffs with oxwall, if that will take longer i will pass to another script i guess.

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Sorry for not providing more info.

The snippet that I gave is the one you should see. This text is what shown in the description abt stripping of tags.

You could not do that straight forward. Needs some play around.
hicham hisham
hicham hisham Nov 9 '12
it's ok ramanujam, i hope thsi will be fixed in the next version...
hicham hisham
hicham hisham Jan 2 '13
you can mark this topic as fixed, it's work really fine now on the new version ;)