We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

What's the word with Oxwall? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Ruben Carner
Ruben Carner Jun 23 '20

Hello

I'm not seeing a whole lot of activity. The site seems like it is being abandoned by the creators, nobody is making new plugins, nobody is using this sub.

What's the story? I've created a couple sites using Oxwall over the past month, and they are doing very well. There is still so much potential with Oxwall. Is anybody still interested in supporting this awesome project?

Thank you ! 

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Jun 23 '20

We are blocked.

The old developers have left and development on GitHub is abandoned.

The latest previews (still downloadable) were not edited in the form of a public UpDate.

New developers who are interested can only make plugins.

There are new plugins, in this I do not agree with your appreciation. Also, they are of good quality.

Low quality old plugins have been removed from the store thanks to the new store moderator. Perhaps he is too severe and strict in his decisions, but it is better this way.

Many purchases of plugins and themes have been lost because the authors have removed the products from the store.

In recent years there have been several attempts to make parallel developments by updating the core but all have failed.

And in all this time, the owner of OxWall doesn't bother writing around here, I guess he doesn't read us.

The OxWall.com cover has been edited and the script is not free, now it costs 999 USD.

This contradicts the terms of the license but does not seem to matter to anyone.

The script download links and the link to the demo website have disappeared, which are still there but are no longer public.

Our future is uncertain, we are like a ship without a captain, with no one at the helm, heading for the storm.

The storm is that PHP ver 5.6 is gradually disappearing and our kernel is NOT compatible with PHP 7, although the plugins are.

Ken
Ken Jun 23 '20
Oxwall is a great script yes but lacks development before oxwall had something like donate $50 and we will release that powered by oxwall brand I wish I knew where those donations went I really thought oxwall was on to something big but the staff energy faded maybe they start using Instagram and got lost in the sauce and forgot oxwall could be just as great but oxwall was the future until these moderators started cleaning up without not real directions so we stuck with store policies and rules
dave Leader
dave Jun 23 '20

We have not yet removed all the bad plugins, there are many, it will take time... But yes alot of bad plugins have been removed.

Oxwall is not dead, not yet... there is still much fight in it...

more to follow!

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 24 '20
Onur
Onur Jun 24 '20
Oxwall seo is died for google. i don't see any future on this platform. you can't get success with oxwall curenlty seo. 
dave Leader
dave Jun 24 '20
Well folks we can try to be positive or we can just complain all day. Even in the middle of something challenging it is best to stay positive. I have had to relearn this myself.  So lets try to stay positive.  I can tell you that as much as i can, i am trying on my end to bring positive change.  
Katrina Weston
Katrina Weston Jul 4 '20
I love Oxwall. The problem was that too many people were abusing the goodwill of the people who purchased their plugins by offering little or no support. I myself was caught a few times before the penny dropped. This new purge is exactly what was needed to clear out the deadwood and restore confidence. Yes, it’s going to take time to rebuild the platform and regain the trust but it’s absolutely necessary to move forward. I myself would welcome any contact with a reliable developer as I have some ideas so please contact me if this interests you. Oxwall is easy to use and very flexible so instead of moaning about change why not try and embrace it and make the best of things going forward.
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Jul 4 '20
+1
Quote from Katrina Weston I love Oxwall. The problem was that too many people were abusing the goodwill of the people who purchased their plugins by offering little or no support. I myself was caught a few times before the penny dropped. This new purge is exactly what was needed to clear out the deadwood and restore confidence. Yes, it’s going to take time to rebuild the platform and regain the trust but it’s absolutely necessary to move forward. I myself would welcome any contact with a reliable developer as I have some ideas so please contact me if this interests you. Oxwall is easy to use and very flexible so instead of moaning about change why not try and embrace it and make the best of things going forward.

dave Leader
dave Jul 4 '20
+1 Katrina. 

My grandfather used to say all the time when life gets hard or when things dont go our way in life,  "if you are not part of the solution, then you must be part of the problem. 

Wise words from a wonderful gifted generation.  

sfcastelliba
sfcastelliba Jul 24 '20
I really thought oxwall was on to something big but the staff energy faded maybe they start using Instagram and got lost in the sauce and forgot oxwall could be just as great but oxwall was the future until these moderators started cleaning up without not real directions so we stuck with store policies and rules tellthebell
The Forum post is edited by sfcastelliba Jul 25 '20
dave Leader
dave Jul 24 '20

sfcastelliba,  a world without policies and rules is chaos... We established these rules to allow more organization and standards.  I do apologize if the policies and rules to not serve you, unfortunately we cant please everyone no matter what we do.  :)

Maybe you can share your concern about the policies and rules, we appreciate feedback.

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 24 '20
Steve
Steve Jul 30 '20
Okay here is what happened if you take a look at the address of this site is say's:

https://developers.oxwall.com/index for the main page...Where I am going with this is they used this site for development and use us to test the product out so they could refine it.

Now take a look at this site and you will see that oxwall is very much alive but at a price.

https://www.oxwall.com/

dave Leader
dave Jul 30 '20
Steve that has been there even when ross was here in 2016, its not new.  But you are not alone, alot of people are finding that link and they think it is a new developerment, but its been there for a long time.    You can also look at the bottom of the site it says 2019, they have not yet updated it to 2020 yet and we are half way through the year lol..
The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 30 '20
Ken
Ken Dec 3 '20
It’s funny that now I barely visit the oxwall store or forum like I use to everyday because in my mind I know nothing new due to the new policies or whatever..... developers are not encouraged to develop anything but I guarantee if this was voted based oxwall would be like more like Wordpress with a library of old and new plugins but as we know we have to adapt and its all good cause less copycats now I’m getting more views I guess I’m making the script a museum because I loved oxwall minus the poor staffing of course but hey better for us grandfathers who have all the amazing crazy free plugins....right!
I like to share this with you guys I worked at a Construction site and it was me and this guy in the office trailer and usually every lunchtime someone would cover lunch like today your day and tomorrow my day type of stuff and today was my day so I asked my partner what he wants he say he’s having some friends over that to get whatever I want for myself and he’ll buy lunch for him and friends so I ate before I got back and when I got back it was like a party 8 friends and him eating good it’s like they was literally teasing me and never once offered me anything but anyways I just said to myself what’s the reason and back to work after 20 minutes in everyone had to use the restroom at the same time boy was I laughing in the inside though image construction bathroom and it’s only one available.... moral of the story is sometime people flex their powers to prove a point and ends up hurting them or something like letting them shoot themselves in foot.....
conglynina
conglynina Dec 24 '20
Great!I don't see any future on this platform. you can't get success with oxwall curenlty seo. 

Thank you!

James Geddes
James Geddes Jan 2 '21
Hello Oxwall friends, it's been a while. 

I guess I should start by apologising if my last  postt was, in any way, a "nail in a coffin"; looking back at it, I was quite harsh, however, I wrote it from a place of love for the community and the project. Perhaps it was a coincidence, but progress seemed to halt not long after I published it. In summary, we migrated away from Oxwall in 2016 as it was unable to meet our requirements.

As others have pointed out, it appears that development of Oxwall has broadly been abandoned and many of the bugs I originally pointed out have not been addressed. It also appears that Oxwall has continued down the road away from being community-centric and toward a commercial focus. It is sad that, as @Ruben points out, not much has changed.

In that post, we also discussed the possibility of forking Oxwall to build something based on it but better. Four years later, however, PHP is more despised than ever before, so developing skills in it is arguably a waste of time. Furthermore, we also discussed how there were significant, fundamental flaws in the architecture of Oxwall that would basically require a complete rewrite. I would, therefore, like to propose an alternative.

I am part of a community organisation called Geek.Zone.

- we help geeks meet geeks ("geek" is a compliment!)

- as a registered UK charity, we cannot be commercial. Ever.

- everything we do is GPLv3. Forever.

We are building a platform that will allow your members to do anything they need as a member, including the social and wiki stuff, for example. This platform is in its infancy at the moment, but we are using modern tools and techniques, such as Python Django, to build something that will be useful to many membership organisations like Geek.Zone. This means that skills you develop will be transferable, so you can put them on your CV/résumé. Take a look on our GitHub for more info.

I would like to invite everyone who is interested in being part of our community and helping to build this great platform to let me know. We need everyone of any experience level; for example, artists, front end people, back end people, marketers, people who are eager to learn - everyone! Membership costs just GBP£1 + donation per year, as we try and keep everything accessible.

It's not all about this platform at Geek.Zone, our primary focus is our community. We would normally hold regular in-person social events, however, since early 2020 we have, for obvious reasons, been holding all these events on our Discord. A particularly great event for first timers is our "Pint Night", a games night which we hold every Friday from 7pm (UK time). Everyone is welcome, so do come along, join in the fun and see what Geek.Zone is all about! 

@dave - you have been a tremendous help to not only me but also everyone here. I would love to see you at Geek.Zone. If nothing else, it would be great to actually speak to you after all these years!

Post has been corrected by moderator

The Forum post is edited by dave Jan 2 '21
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Jan 2 '21

How disgusting are these people who spam.

Not a single message of encouragement, not a single positive message, not a single message to collaborate on anything.

Only ex-users were missing coming here to take members to other platforms.

Last week one with WordPerfect, and now another.

I would like to be the moderator so that I can delete these messages sooner.

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Jan 2 '21
The big difference is that Dave's new platform will be compatible for plugins and Themes, and this one is nothing like it and is not compatible at all, and there is no system to migrate users and content.

This forum is a community made up of OxWall users and developers.It is not a platform to advertise other scripts.

It would be the same case as if you go to a community of Ford car users and you say that as Ford is crap, it is better that you throw everything away and buy a Volkswagen

The Forum post is edited by Patricia Zorrilla Jan 2 '21
Ken
Ken Jan 2 '21
Hey I own a VW and I won’t buy a Ford why because American products have an expiration date their motto is “If we build it to last forever how will we ever Make money” but others may say “if we build it to last forever how can they ever leave us” see I did my research before landing to oxwall as we all know others tried oxwall plus, chami, engine social I don’t know all by name but they are out there my suggestion to Dave would be a plugin that collectively takes all oxwall issues fix them as well as tune and supercharged the oxwall core to work with any php version have a fix log sheet for admin, app enable, adding all the exclusive features oxwall needs.... simple api connections, page analysis, script sorting for speed, bug and key conflict finders, easy, third parties configurations, etc.... a complete package plugin everything switch with same sql data and call it the Dave switch plugin its a plugin that puts oxwall on steroids making websites compete with any mainstream site at any level or it guarantees a funnel system for income something like that where admins can switch to the plugin back and forth anytime without errors, doing any server harm, or losing anything with a smooth transition more of a building block plugin something but hey let see...
The Forum post is edited by Ken Jan 2 '21
dave Leader
dave Jan 2 '21
lol sure ken ill just whip that right out for ya  hee hee :)    I have also corrected that earlier post with all the links in there.. Left a few that are ok to have.
The Forum post is edited by dave Jan 2 '21
Pages: 1 2 »