We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

group forum not visibile | Forum

Ash
Ash Dec 4 '20
Hi All

i am facing this first time, i uninstalled and re-installed forum plugin and now forum is not showing-up in group, as such there are no forum topics so no data lost.

But i have kept it open, given all rights and also forum is connected with groups.. 

can someone please help and guide what is wrong?

Look fw

Thanks in advance!

The Forum post is edited by Ash Dec 6 '20
Ash
Ash Dec 4 '20

Quote from Chris_W All I can think of is that as the forum is part of a standard Oxwall installation, and groups are not, that the groups plugin has to be installed after the forum plugin to pick up on any forum content. This may well not be the reason though.

Have you tried deactivating (not uninstalling) and reactivating the groups plugin?

Yes i tried deactivated, its the issue in the DB - as you rightly said, 

this is what happened unknowingly :-  

Step 1)Installed oxwall, did all basics reculsive 777 etc.. added forum, group, and events!

Step 2)Created few groups as per client requirement, around 20 of them and added forum in each group for users

Step 4)Due to some reason since it was not being used, i had to uninstall forum (it was not needed that time)

Step 5)Now when re-installed forum, all old group are not showing forum 

--

New Problem: Over and above this now when trying to create a new group it is throwing error500 

--

I am shocked no one noticed this and never came-up with this problem ? Someone out of you all great developers need to find out exactly how the two plugins interact with each other and write a tutorial on how to solve this issue... 

The Forum post is edited by Ash Dec 4 '20
Ash
Ash Dec 4 '20

Quote from Chris_W
Quote from Ash

--

New Problem: Over and above this now when trying to create a new group it is throwing error500 

--

I am shocked no one noticed this and never came-up with this problem ? Someone out of you all great developers need to find out exactly how the two plugins interact with each other and write a tutorial on how to solve this issue... 

That would need someone like Dave, Patricia or SD to answer that question.

Have you been into your hosting and run a database error check? When you reinstalled did you use a new database and import your data, or did you use the original database and just change the details in ow_includes/config.php.  If the original database is okay I usually just reuse it by changing config.php in the new installation. You only need to do an export/import if you are changing servers.

It was a direct cpanel to cpanel mirror copy/transfer, so all things are exactly same! 
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Dec 4 '20

I am working on this, I am studying how the groups and the forum work when they are connected and I will write a tutorial on how they interact with each other.

But in any case, the "Error 500" can be due to many things and Ash's website is full of plugins and other mixed scripts, so we will have to put it in "Debug mode" and study where this error comes from separately.

You have given me access to your server .... But the web is up and running, so I have logged out there and am studying these two plugins on a new test site, without any other content. "Divide and conquer," someone once said.

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Dec 4 '20

It is already fixed ... there is an error in the "forum" plugin, but it only gives problems when you have "groups" installed, uninstall "forum" and reinstall "forum".

I have looked at the Skadate "forum" plugin and it has the same flaw.

I will publish an update of "forum" at https://owspain.com and I will take advantage of it to put some more features like more notifications, to be able to move post from one section to another and things like that, the truth is that it is currently a too basic plugin.

Ash
Ash Dec 5 '20

Quote from Patricia Zorrilla

It is already fixed ... there is an error in the "forum" plugin, but it only gives problems when you have "groups" installed, uninstall "forum" and reinstall "forum".

I have looked at the Skadate "forum" plugin and it has the same flaw.

I will publish an update of "forum" at https://owspain.com and I will take advantage of it to put some more features like more notifications, to be able to move post from one section to another and things like that, the truth is that it is currently a too basic plugin.

Thanks a Ton Patricia for your help.. the site it up and running perfectly, and even forums are appearing in old groups now, further there is no 500error showing when groups are created and also showing forum! Thanks once again for being the Savior... it means lot for a small webmaster like me! 
dave Leader
dave Dec 5 '20

I am curous ash if you reconnected the groups and forum when you reinstalled it, did you link them back together..   It used to be that you had to deactivate the group first before the forum or it would blow up the script.   Maybe patricia has it fixed... i hope so.

This is why you have to be very careful when you mess with the db, there are data feeds from dif tables and its not just one table anymore.  So you have to know what tables are affected before you change things.

Ash
Ash Dec 5 '20

Quote from dave

I am curous ash if you reconnected the groups and forum when you reinstalled it, did you link them back together..   It used to be that you had to deactivate the group first before the forum or it would blow up the script.   Maybe patricia has it fixed... i hope so.

This is why you have to be very careful when you mess with the db, there are data feeds from dif tables and its not just one table anymore.  So you have to know what tables are affected before you change things.

Sir great clarity to know about the dependency of both plugins, i did not knew this and i will take care in future... Yes patricia has solved it!