We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How much is too much? (First Aid) | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Martina Perez
Martina Perez May 31 '22
I'm in some kind of Groundhog Day situation. Every time I pack a bag, load a bag (road trip, hike, planned hike) or go in search of supplies, I focus on first aid.
It got to the point that I almost don't put other, even necessary items in my bag.
I do not know what it is or why I am so keen on these things, but it seems that I always have much more first aid equipment than any other equipment for survival, insect control and preparedness. Of course, I have two ways to light a fire in my backpack, but there are 95 different types of patches in my package. I mean, really, what am I going to do with patches anyway?

Some time ago I raised this issue with some close friends and family, and it seemed to me that we all had a similar problem. It wasn't always first aid. Some got so much water that they had nowhere to hide. Some gathered so much in search of shelter that they had almost no food.

On reflection, we decided that it is our comfort level in certain areas that makes us pack fewer of these items, and our limited knowledge, in my case, about a real "medical injury", leads to excessive compensation when packing first aid.
William
William May 31 '22
I mean, it's important to have your first aid kit ready and always by your side, but if it is too big, it can become a problem. I think that creating a list of items you need might be of great help.
Peter
Peter May 31 '22
Sometimes I do that too, but I have a rule to always review my backpack before leaving, and I always change something in it.
Jesse Hiserp
Jesse Hiserp May 31 '22
Yeah, you're right. It's better to know the general rules before packing your emergency backpack.
Some lists online should tell you what you should have in your emergency survival kit in a backpack. You never know what you will need, and it's better to ask professionals about what I should have in this backpack. You can always buy a ready emergency kit, but it will probably not fit your family's needs if you have one. This is really important if you have kids that need to be taken care of.
So, please pay attention to this, especially now when the world is so unstable.