We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

1.5 update - no great improvements | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Vicki
Vicki Dec 21 '12
I don't really have a question. More of comments that I wanted to make.

I am still on version 1.2.6. I installed 1.5 as a test and I am still not seeing much change or improvement at all. What I keep checking your updates for are these items:

Still slow adding new posts and navigating around.
There was a mention of how the newsfeed would be more manageable and faster but I didn't see any configuration anywhere where I could specify "delete old posts of ?? days" I guess I assumed I would have such a function but I don't.

The new Groups page format is still displaying all the group text rather than concatenating it. Each time I try your "updated" plugin for Groups, it still displays too much text on the main page which makes it unusable to me.

There was a mention of a spam prevention tool but I didn't see anywhere in the Admin control panel where this might be. There was a mention that it still needs work but I could not see it at all anywhere. There are huge security holes because of the lack of spam control. Many of us still get many spam users daily.

Themes are still poor in how customizable they are. I don't think I should  have to go into the css for a million little changes. I should be able to change the color and size of the Title, the menu, the logo, etc. Seems like basic stuff but the interface to update themes are still very poor. You would have to be a css pro in order to customize any theme. Something as simple as inserting a logo should be easy, but, it isn't. It doesn't line up and text rolls over it with no way of removing the text or selecting "not to display Title" without having to go into the dark depths of the css file.

There may have been many updates done in the background core of this software, but for me, on the front end? I don't see much improvement at all.

Better luck next time around.

Lynette
Lynette Dec 21 '12
Don't forget about the free 500 errors. Those are a great improvement......
cit27
cit27 Dec 21 '12
I disagree with you
although only a few of the changes that have been made
but it is of great value ..
in
150 has a better notification than version before and new format of chat

Free Anti Spammer....Read http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/333

Vicki
Vicki Dec 22 '12
I've tried the free Anti Spammer and it caused more problems than block spammers. It created a huge error log because one of the internal Geo api wasn't working. It literally took my cron jobs down. I had to uninstall it.

Oxwall said they had their own anti spammer in version 1.5 but I have not seen where it is located in the software.

The only true way I fought off the fake members spam was to create new custom profile field for when a new member registers.

Another thing I just noticed is I created this forum topic and by default it checkmarks "Subscribe to new posts" yet I did not receive any of your responses. I just happened to come to the site to see if this post was viewed at all. I didn't receive any notification by email so I think it's broken.

Notification in the top right corner looks nice, chat looks nice. I don't disagree. I am just explaining my disappointment.

Yes, I know it is free software and can't expect much. I am only voicing my opinions.
The Forum post is edited by Vicki Dec 22 '12
Pete
Pete Dec 22 '12
Vicky how can you say anything when you have not upgraded to 1.5 ,its better than 1.4 ,chat is much better ,notificashions is good,its just a pain doing the upgrade
The Forum post is edited by Pete Dec 22 '12
Joseph
Joseph Dec 22 '12
from what I read you seem to only have updated the core you didnt install plugins like watch dog which is the anti spam plugin and I don't know whats so slow it all seems pretty fast to me try checking out your server honestly as you see oxwall.org loads fine its running 1.5 but I do agree email notifications should still come instantly and not when users are off for 2 days my members sometime wait for update emails before coming on which now kills my traffic
Alia Team
Alia Dec 25 '12
Thank you for your feedback, guys.

Vicki,

>> newsfeed would be more manageable and faster but I didn't see any configuration anywhere where I could specify "delete old posts of ??

This kind of settings doesn't exist in admin panel, but in 1.5 posts that were inactive for 3 months are deleted automatically.

>>The new Groups page format is still displaying all the group text rather than concatenating it.

This change will be included in one of the next updates.

>>There was a mention of a spam prevention tool but I didn't see anywhere in the Admin control panel where this might be. There was a mention that it still needs work but I could not see it at all anywhere. There are huge security holes because of the lack of spam control. Many of us still get many spam users daily.

Wathdog plugin comes separately from the standard update package. You can find it up in the store.
We are working on improving this plugin.

>>Themes are still poor in how customizable they are. ..Something as simple as inserting a logo should be easy, but, it isn't. It doesn't line up and text rolls over it with no way of removing the text or selecting "not to display Title" without having to go into the dark depths of the css file.

Thank you for this suggestion, we will keep this in mind when developing new themes in future.

Regarding logos, all depends from the theme actually. Some themes allow adding logo just by one click from admin panel, some not.

Vicki
Vicki Dec 25 '12
Thank you Aliia, I appreciate your feedback.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
I have seen some improments on site speed. Javascripts are taken down for performance.

Quote from Vicki Another thing I just noticed is I created this forum topic and by default it checkmarks "Subscribe to new posts" yet I did not receive any of your responses. I just happened to come to the site to see if this post was viewed at all. I didn't receive any notification by email so I think it's broken.

They have disabled daily notifications. They will send email only if you have not logged in for few days... I hate this.
Abbey
Abbey Dec 26 '12
I've seen many post about issues with 1.5, 500 errors etc, I've put off upgrading as I really can't be bothered trying to fix things if they go wrong.
Have all the bugs been fixed?
Vicki
Vicki Jan 1 '13
What? Disabled daily notifications? That is unbelievable. What is the point of subscribing to anything? Very unfortunate. I have not logged into this forum for many days and still no notification email at all.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Yes. This really irritating to keep on checking every hour to view notifications. Its more than 2 weeks emails are not sent.