We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Your Guide To The New Tyre Labels | Forum

metro
metro Dec 3 '22

From the 1st November 2012 it will be a legal requirement for all new tyres to feature one of the new tyre labels as required by European Regulation No 1222/2009. The intention behind these labels is to give customers more information about the performance of each tyre. It covers three areas - wet braking, which gives you a guide to how safe the tyre is; rolling resistance, offering a guide to fuel consumption; and external noise. The labels are very similar to those found on household appliances such as washing machines, and should be easy to understand.

These new tyre labels are likely to encourage consumers to put more thought into the tyres they purchase, and tyre manufacturers to put more effort into improving the performance of their product. In time this should improve the safety of our roads (by reducing stopping distances), reduce greenhouse gas emissions (by reducing fuel consumption), and reduce the noise that traffic produces. Overall this should result in a definite improvement of our environment.

The tyres will be graded by each manufacturer or importer (where tyres are coming in from outside the European Union) to a strict testing system, and each country will be responsible for ensuring that the testing is carried out to the correct standards. Tyre manufacturers have already begun this process, so how are the tyres tested for each aspect of the label?

Wet braking - this test involves using a real vehicle and a wet road. The temperature, state of the road surface, water depth and speed are all stipulated under European legislation, although they do vary for different types of tyres. For example, winter tyres must be tested between 2 - 20 degrees Celsius, while summer tyres are tested between 5 - 35 degrees Celsius. The water must be between 0.5 and 1.5 mm for all tyres, and the speed must be between 12 - 50 mph.

Fuel economy - by measuring the rolling resistance of the tyre under standardised conditions. The test does not require a vehicle, but instead simulates a vehicle driving at 50 mph with a load that is equivalent to 80% of the tyre's load index. The lower the tyres' rolling resistance, the more fuel efficient they will be as they will use less energy as you drive.

External noise - tested with a microphone at the side of the track to record the sound as a vehicle drives past at 50 mph. Again, the track and the temperature are stipulated.

This is all useful information when you are choosing new car Full service, but there are other things you should be considering. The longevity of the tyre will naturally effect how much it costs you in the long run, while dry braking performance is as important as wet braking (more so if you find yourself needing to do an emergency stop on a dry road!). The handling performance is also important as the majority of our roads aren't straight!

Mitchell Thornton
Mitchell Thornton Jan 31 '23
I just thought it may be an idea to post incase anyone else was having problems researching but I am a little unsure if I am allowed to put names and addresses on here. Orlando Bed Bug Treatment
Mitchell Thornton
Mitchell Thornton Jan 31 '23
It's superior, however , check out material at the street address. Windermere Pest Control
Mitchell Thornton
Mitchell Thornton Mar 16 '23
For true fans of this thread I will address is a free online! تصليح طباخات
Mitchell Thornton
Mitchell Thornton Mar 16 '23
Excellent read, Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. لجنه خيريه
Mitchell Thornton
Mitchell Thornton Mar 17 '23
I read this article. I think You put a lot of effort to create this article. I appreciate your work. Best haul away service
Mitchell Thornton
You should mainly superior together with well-performing material, which means that see it: Cad design
Mitchell Thornton
I exploit solely premium quality products -- you will observe these individuals on: Best nail salon
Mitchell Thornton
On that website page, you'll see your description, why not read through this. Electrician
Mitchell Thornton
Mitchell Thornton Mar 22 '23
Interesting and interesting information can be found on this topic here profile worth to see it. sophia regency
Mitchell Thornton
Mitchell Thornton Mar 27 '23
I simply want to tell you that I am new to weblog and definitely liked this blog site. Very likely I’m going to bookmark your blog . You absolutely have wonderful stories. Cheers for sharing with us your blog. server colocation Singapore
Mitchell Thornton
Mitchell Thornton Mar 27 '23
The most interesting text on this interesting topic that can be found on the net ... How to podcast
Mitchell Thornton
Mitchell Thornton Apr 7 '23
wow this saintly however ,I love your enter plus nice pics might be part personss negative love being defrent mind total poeple , Woking taxi
Mitchell Thornton
Mitchell Thornton Apr 9 '23
I have a similar interest this is my page read everything carefully and let me know what you think. Mac McClung