We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Upgrade disaster, need advice | Forum

Sean T
Sean T Dec 21 '12

My site sithacademy.com has been down since I attempted to upgrade about 24 hours ago. Apparently they had to install PHPShield, but there were also some errors about missing tables. My site seems to have the new version running on the mainpage, but every subpage says file not found. I am trying to get my hosting company to restore everything to before the upgrade, but this doesn’t solve the problem of how to upgrade. I have also opened an account with HostforWeb and may migrate everything there since Arvixe seems unfamiliar with oxwall. I am trying to get Arvixe to provide me with a complete site backup so hostweb can migrate it to their servers, but Arvixe is being difficult. I am somewhat at a loss for what to do here, since Arvixe seems clueless about how to restore my site. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Joseph
Joseph Dec 22 '12
I can do more than suggest I can have a look and give a full walkthrough on how to fix this without moving backwards
Sean T
Sean T Dec 22 '12
How can my tech support people get in touch with you? What do you need to help me? I have lost 8 days of data because the database seems to be getting corrupted. Can you call Arvixe at 888-927-8493 and ask for Andrew?
Alia Team
Alia Dec 23 '12
Sean while searching for the solution to your issue I have found following topic on Arvixe's forum regarding Oxwall update : http://forum.arvixe.com/...-php-unpack-problem/

So in case if you decide to stay with Arvixe you might want to contact their support as well, since they have helped users to update Oxwall in past multiple times.

Joseph
Joseph Dec 26 '12
Aliia we got it fixed it was just A few plugins originally blocking the update then after that things got messed up as Arvixe tech support does not understand how oxwall works but I have fixed the issue and Sean's site is back on track
Alia Team
Alia Dec 26 '12
Thank you Joseph!!! and Happy new Year
John
John Dec 27 '12
I too am having the same problem, as I have been attempting to update the various plugins and platform.  I have never been able to do a direct update, I was attempting to do the manual update.  I started with the newsfeed but it is saying there is files missing, and the admin area won't allow me to do anything but attempt to do the manual update (which means I can not take the site off of maintenance mode currently).  This was all attempted due to the donation/paypal link somehow decided that it wanted to attach itself to the "send" icon on the newsfeed.  So everytime someone was attempting to post something, they were being directed to the paypal donation instead.  Essentially, HELP
My site is www.magibook.org
Joseph
Joseph Dec 27 '12
John if you understand your database I can walk you through this or you can message me and we can work on it generally this will be easy as long as you remember that the error you are getting is normal and there is no need to reverse just inbox me and we can fix this
John
John Dec 27 '12
First off Joseph, thank you for being willing to help us out.  Second of all I have sent you a private message.  Also, if you can help me through this, is there a place I can pay you?
John
John Dec 30 '12
well, I was told by the hosting site, that it wasn't on their end.  I see they have made some alterations, but now it's completely broken.  I think all I can do is uninstall, and reinstall and add in the backed up information I have

Update:  that did work for me, although time consuming.

The Forum post is edited by John Dec 30 '12
Ronnel DC
Ronnel DC Dec 30 '12
Hello Sean T !:

I'm Willing to help to your problem.
Inbox me :)

Cheers,
Ronnel