We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Am I gonna get sued by facebook | Forum

Mike
Mike Feb 23 '11
lilfacebook.com You guys think Facebook is gonna sue me?
Jordan Shaw
Jordan Shaw Feb 27 '11
Hello, Mike.

What I would do is let your disclaimer be available for anyone and everyone to see if you want it to be a big part that you're no way affiliated with Facebook.

You should not get done for this unless you was in an attempt to re-create Facebook as in, take all of it's features and template etc and use it as your own, to basically re-make Facebook as your own website.

I think that if you publicise your disclaimer so that everyone can see it, I would no reason for you to get penalised in anyway.

(Facebook is turning fully automated except from blog posts etc). I wouldn't think that they would search for these types of websites that much, if at all very often.

Don't worry though, it should all be alright for you. (Depending on how Facebook 'works' as well).

(I created a test account on you website to see if i could view it to fully check it but it's unavailable as you need to approve it. You can delete it if you want, I just wanted to check the disclaimer page out).

Kind regards,
Jordan
Mike
Mike Feb 27 '11
Sorry Jordan I did delete it. I didn't know who you were. The whole pretense of my site is safety for little kids while teaching them to be responsible in their use of social networks at an early age. By working through schools and neighborhoods and by invitation only, I'm attempting to keep this as safe as possible.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Napoleon Bonaparte Mar 19 '11
Don't worry, there are hundreds facebook names of sites...
(Sorry my bad english)
Michael Leader
Michael Apr 4 '11
checkout http://www.lamebook.com

Facebook are trying to sue them as their sitename is close to facebook AND they post all the funnies from facebook. OK so they are screenshots and I don't think facebook can stop that BUT depending on your success, make enough noise, if you DO get noticed then they MAY take offence!

Highly unlikely but do be careful! Your work where you are trying to do something nice is highlighting the dangers in facebook and using them as an example of a place to be careful. Myspace and bebo are of course others...

Again, unlikely anything will hapen but in this world, strange things that seem impossibly ludicrous can happen!
Jv
Jv Apr 13 '11
If you really want to append the name, you should ask for permission. But if you have the time, you can check the trademark registry and learn what is the scope of their copyright registration. Usually, the problem lies with the name. There are very limited choices with it. What is your web site about? If it is almost the same as facebook, then you could expect a mail anytime soon.
Ashok Leader
Ashok Jul 8 '11
Don't worry about it. There is a much difference between FaceBook and your Oxwall based site . Be cautioned about the Domain Name :)

Mary
Mary Sep 14 '11
I don't think FB cares about their not so powerful and popular rivals to  be honest with you. If it is the way you were afraid of then FB should sue all social pages all over the world as they remind of it.