We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Is Your Data Encryption Really Secure | Forum

metro
metro Dec 14 '22

There are various types and methods of data encryption. Some of the most popular forms of data encryption include single file encryption, folder encryption, volume encryption, whole disk encryption, and of course email encryption.

The Windows XP operating system has the ability to perform file and folder encryption. There are 3rd party tools, like PGP Desktop, which can perform whole disk, logical disk, file, and e-mail encryption.

If you routinely deal with confidential or sensitive information, or if you are concerned about private information falling into someone else's hands, encryption may be the way you want to go. However, there are a few things you should be aware of so you don't have a false sense of security.

First, What Is Data Encryption

--------------------------------------------------

Throughout ancient and modern history people have come up with ways to mask, hide, and verify that information is secure or valid. For instance; the ancient Babylonians in 4000 B.C. used something call intaglio, a process in which images and writing were carved or etched into stone that identified certain Babylonian merchants when they were trading. Each trader, or merchant, had a specific intaglio to make his mark, this way his customers would know that what they were purchasing belonged to, or was produced by, a specific merchant. This is a bit different then encryption, more like today's digital signature, another process typically part of data encryption.

Encryption today is much more advanced and complex. It is used for everything from securing military secrets to keeping intellectual property confidential. There are various forms of encryption techniques, some stronger or more secure than others. In it's basic form, encryption can be thought of as the masking, or the scrambling of original human readable information. The person who is masking the information must provide the person he is sending the information to with some sort of key that allows them to unscramble the information so they can make sense of it. For instance; I use encrypted e-mail messages so I can correspond with my customers on a regular basis. I do this because during certain types of projects my customers and I discuss private information such as security holes discovered during security assessments. This type of information is obviously not something we would want to fall into someone else's hands.

Most Data Does Not Start Out Encrypted So Be Careful

----------------------------

The primary reason I am writing this article is to point out a couple specific issues with data encryption. During a recent discussion with a friend of mine he told me that he was using Windows XP folder encryption to secure some of his confidential information. He asked me if I thought this was a secure method of storing important documents. My response was yes and no. The data encryption used by Windows XP is relatively secure, but the issue is that the majority of the data that is now encrypted in the folder did not start out that way.

Let's take for example, a word document that contains your personal financial information. You may have written this document so you have a central location where account numbers, social security numbers, and other private and individual identification information is easily retrievable. After you are finished writing the document, you then transferred it to your secure crypter article folder. Since it is now in a secure folder, only you are able to access it because only you know the pass-phrase that was used to generate the encryption key. For the most part, this assumption is correct.

Mitchell Thornton
Mitchell Thornton Jan 4 '23
I invite you to the page where you can read with interesting information on similar topics. 먹튀폴리스
Mitchell Thornton
Mitchell Thornton Jan 5 '23
Your texts on this subject are correct, see how I wrote this site is really very good. 먹튀폴리스
Qhaaf Bedding
Qhaaf Bedding Sep 28 '23
Discover Qhaaf Bedding's comforter price in Pakistan, where affordability meets luxury. Wrap yourself in cozy comfort with Qhaaf's premium comforters.
Aspire Bedding
Aspire Bedding Oct 1 '23
With Aspire Bedding's very reasonable bridal bed sheets price in Pakistan, you can have the best premium quality wedding bed sheets.
Mannat Clothing
Mannat Clothing Oct 1 '23
Looking for some new clothes but don't want to spend a lot of money? Check out Mannat Clothing's sale on brands in Pakistan! You'll find great deals on women's clothing, including branded suits and dresses. So, take advantage of these discounts and update your wardrobe today!
Bagerz Bags
Bagerz Bags Oct 1 '23
Bagerz brings you the most fashionable bag designs. Explore our latest bags collection, from handbags to purse design and find the perfect accessory to showcase your style.
Panache Apparel
Panache Apparel Oct 1 '23
Shop the brand sale in Pakistan at Panache Apparel and enjoy unbeatable discounts on branded clothes for women.
RedBuffer Ai
RedBuffer Ai Oct 8 '23
RedBuffer Ai leads it staff augmentation companies, providing tailored solutions. Elevate your projects with our skilled IT professionals, ensuring exceptional results.