We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Error with join groups | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Stan Thompson
Stan Thompson Dec 25 '12
I updated to 1.5 and everything seems to be running ok except for the groups, when members try to join a group the error 500 appears, how can I fix this?

Kind regards

www.mydiarybook.co.uk

Alia Team
Alia Dec 27 '12
Stan,  glad to hear that almost everything is working now.

What is the real error with enabled DEBUG mode?

Stan Thompson
Stan Thompson Dec 27 '12
Hi Aliia, I'm afraid it is not good news my website as totally crashed and I cannot access it at all, it will let me sign in but when I do there is just a blank page, I had my host rest my html folder twice but that did not fix it, basically they told me that everything on my host is ok and that the problem must be with Oxwall Software, I have messaged them but still have no reply, and I amk afraid my members will go else where, I need help :(
Pete
Pete Dec 27 '12
Do you want me to do you a compleat reinstall Stan ,be happy to do it for you if you want
Stan Thompson
Stan Thompson Dec 27 '12
will it work? and will I lose some of my data? 
Pete
Pete Dec 27 '12

some of your plugins may not work Stan

Stan Thompson
Stan Thompson Dec 27 '12

well I am just having all my files and db tested and if that fails I will let you know Pete, thank you anyway, I never thought that I would miss my website so much :(

Joseph
Joseph Dec 27 '12
If I am thinking about your situation correctly you updated the core and everything to 1.5 but then bluehost restored older versions of the html files but did they restore the database that worked with the older files?
Pete
Pete Dec 27 '12
Jo i think Stan would be better just doing a fresh install dropping db and adding backup .I dont think it was html files jo because it would not have worked at the start ,for a time it was working,there again with oxwall who knows .
The Forum post is edited by Pete Dec 27 '12
Joseph
Joseph Dec 27 '12
no it is the files they ran against a 1.5 databse but I tried this theory of fresh install and bluehost returns a server error leading me to believe bluehost does not support oxwall very well at all but pete it is true if you update your site to 1.5 then you replace all your files with 1.4 but leave your database at 1.5 you will get a white screen and not be able to use the site which is what happened here it wasn't html files it was everything php the whole thing
Stan Thompson
Stan Thompson Dec 27 '12
I do not understand that as Oxwall recommends Bluehost as 1 of their top 3 hosting companies to go with, thats why I went with them in the first place :(
Pete
Pete Dec 27 '12

Quote from Joseph
If I am thinking about your situation correctly you updated the core and everything to 1.5 but then bluehost restored older versions of the html files but did they restore the database that worked with the older files?

Sorry Jo i thought you were just on about html files as in index ,if blue host added old php files ,it will mess all the site up ,its a wonder it came on at all
The Forum post is edited by Pete Dec 27 '12
Pete
Pete Dec 27 '12
Stan just a thought is your config file set up ok ,if blue host changed some of your files thy may have mest your config file up .and if so you will have a blank screen
Alia Team
Alia Jan 2 '13
Stan, seems like your site is up and running ok now.
Did you do fresh installation?
Were you able to restore your database?
Stan Thompson
Stan Thompson Jan 2 '13
Hi Aliia, yes my website is back up and running, but I had to start all over, as half my data was missing and the website would not run properly, so Pete did a full re-instillation for me, so basically I lost all my members and groups etc etc etc, Joseph was a big help too he got my website up using my backup data but like I said it just kept on crashing, anyway at least my website as a brand new look now and my members are slowly coming back and said that they prefer the new website so all is not lost lol but thank you so much Aliia for getting back to me and also for joining my website, hope you liked it :)

Kind regards

Stan

www.mydiarybook.co.uk