We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

I have k of debt and thinking of filing bankruptcy. | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
NickSun
NickSun Jan 24 '23

I've made a lot of stupid decisions in my life and have been living beyond my means for a long time. Now I'm paying the price. I live paycheck to paycheck and have no savings. Nothing to my name. I have a cheap car that is paid off, that is all. My girlfriend left me months ago so I no longer get any financial support from her, though all of this debt was accumulated (in my name) while we lived together. I am currently living in a friend's living room, but will have to move out by month's end. This means I will have even more expenses in the near future with rent and utilities to pay.

Half of this debt is on credit cards and the other half is a line of credit from a bank that I used to consolidate other credit card debt. I can only afford to make the minimum payments and have been told by a financial adviser that at this rate I would not be able to pay off this debt in my lifetime.

Here's a breakdown:
Credit Cards (minimum payment): $700/mo
Line of Credit (minimum payment): $600/mo
Gas: $200/mo
Car Insurance: $200/mo (I have a horrible driving record, too)
Groceries: $300/mo
Rent (projected): $1000/mo
Electric (projected): $75/mo
Cell phone: $50/mo
Total expenses: $3125/mo

Income (after taxes): $3400/mo

Remaining: $175/mo (Though not likely - I'm probably forgetting some expenses)

It appears that I could continue to make my payments, but I can't help but think that bankruptcy is the best option. I want a clean slate. I don't care if my credit is ruined for 7 years, it seems like a small price to pay given how hopeless I feel right now. Unfortunately my income is too high to pass the means test so I would be stuck with Chapter 13, which would do me no good. A few months out of work would bring my six-month average income down enough to pass the means test and qualify for a Chapter 7 (I think). I'm considering quitting my job (which I'm not happy with, anyway) and moving in with my parents. I could find another job and start saving money instead of being stuck in this hole. Is this a viable option? Or am I better off slaving away for who knows how long just to pay the bills and not have the stigma of filing for bankruptcy?

John Staples
John Staples Jan 24 '23
In fact, the amount you owe is truly staggering. You're probably desperate and think you can't get rid of such a big debt, but you're really not. You can try contacting beneficialfunding.com
These guys are real professionals who have been working in this field for quite a long time and will definitely be able to help you get rid of your debts. I hope my answer will help you!
Micaeljames
Micaeljames Dec 24 '23

"The Milwaukee Consumer's Handbook to Bankruptcy: Key Insights & FAQs" stands as an invaluable resource, meticulously crafted to guide consumers through the intricate landscape of bankruptcy in Milwaukee. bankruptcy attorneys milwaukee offer expert legal assistance in navigating complex financial situations. Tailored for the city's residents, this comprehensive handbook unveils crucial insights and addresses frequently asked questions, offering a wealth of information on Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy options. From deciphering eligibility criteria to outlining the processes, benefits, and potential drawbacks, this guide empowers readers with a deeper understanding of their financial choices. With expert advice and clarity on safeguarding assets, navigating repayment plans, and managing credit implications, this handbook becomes an indispensable tool, ensuring informed decisions as Milwaukee consumers embark on their journey to financial resilience and stability.