We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

admin panel and profile fields | Forum

heinz
heinz Dec 27 '12
Another bug report. i cant seem to be able to change the settings in the profile fields. for example, username visibility is disabled by default and i wanted to enable it. the same goes for any of the other fields. i can disable enable tick marks but cannot enable ones that are currently disabled. i tried it on windows, the iphone and the droid.
The Forum post is edited by heinz Dec 27 '12
Alia Team
Alia Jan 2 '13
Heinz, if you are referring to following fields:
username
email
password
then editing of those fields is disabled because
a) changes you do to those files might effect important  functions within the whole software.
b) for security purposes.

Please note that username and email are visible on user profile's page but for the user only ( each user can see his own username and email).

heinz
heinz Jan 20 '13
That doesn't make sense. Username is an alias not the actual users name. Why would that not be visible? Perhaps you need to change the field username to real name to avoid confusion, because I sure as hell am.
ed claassen
ed claassen Jan 20 '13
i want that users can change there username, but that is not possible now :(
Alia Team
Alia Jan 21 '13
heinz

>>That doesn't make sense. Username is an alias not the actual users name. Why would that not be visible?

Generally, publicly visible username raises the chances of the account being hacked.
You can make 'Username' field visible via custom code modification. 

>>Perhaps you need to change the field username to real name to avoid confusion, because I sure as hell am.

To change question's name go to admin panel>>users>>profile questions>>click "edit" near needed question>>click on the question's name at the top of opened form>>change the question's name.

If you would like to user "Real Name" instead of "Username" go to admin panel>>settings>>user settings>>general>>Show profile name as>>select " Real Name"

Alia Team
Alia Jan 21 '13
ed claassen

>>i want that users can change there username, but that is not possible now :(

Users can change their username if in admin panel>>users>>profile questions>> edit "username" field>> "On Profile Edit" check box is checked.

What users see when they edit their profiles:

cit27
cit27 Jan 21 '13

Quote from Aliia Generally, publicly visible username raises the chances of the account being hacked. You can make 'Username' field visible via custom code modification.

But i know your username: yoursite. com/user/username....? by opening the URL user profile page you want to hack
Gt
The Forum post is edited by cit27 Jan 21 '13
Unique
Unique Jan 21 '13
Thats true
heinz
heinz Jan 21 '13
Good catch cit27
I noticed you now have a sign in by email. That seems to be the way facelessbook is going. Ensures valid email entry and takes care of that security hack concern. This duplicate email name sign in name etc will confuse alot of people. Makes sense but....
heinz
heinz Jan 21 '13
Another security note. I noticed some things on boonex that are great against spammers. The most simple is a test field. I'm not talking useless Captcha which only the bots seem able to read. I'm talking about a simple test defined by the webmaster. On one of my more successful sites using dolphin, I ask what are the first 3 letters of the alphabet.
The answer is converted to LC and verified against the test. Thus far, bots can't reason

Second feature is a 2 page sign up form. I saw something on one site which was alot like the software install gui's you see. One question with a pic or feature note on each page with next step button. This ensures completion of the form. A skip button can be added for the non important fields. This also fixes the problem where the extra smart (or those on mobike browsers) members who have a hard time finding where they made the mistake in the form. Even with the help of a small red * or !
Ermanno
Ermanno Oct 21 '13
Hi!

Change the fields username option it is possible... On Admin MySql panel, look for ow_base_question, and edit this. Very simple!

Bye!