We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

FTP Plugin Update Settings | Forum

Stuart
Stuart Dec 29 '12
For some reason when setting the ftp authentication for plugin updates the save button tries to create a dummy folder in "/ow_core/test".

Can I ask why and why is it forcing me to open up my security? I have opened up ow_pluginfiles so that the new plugins can be uploaded and ftp can write to that directory.

surely it should try and make a dummy folder there and not in the oxwall core?

Stuart

PS It took my ages to work out to have a look at the ftp log to what oxwall was doing. It never occurred to me that it would be trying to write in another folder that isn't highlighted for special security rights on install. 

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Good catch. This might be the problem that oxwall ftp access is not working for many (me too in that list) :)
Stuart
Stuart Dec 29 '12
Thanks for the reply :) . Don't you hate it when you hear those words, would of preferred it to be the usual. Me doing something dumb :)

Merry xmas and happy new year.

Sure oxwall will have it all polished soon and thanks for a great bit of software.

ps sorry to reiterate but next please release a beta just for a couple of weeks to the whole community.

Stuart
Alia Team
Alia Jan 3 '13
>>Can I ask why and why is it forcing me to open up my security?

Oxwall creates a test folder in ow_core before uploading actual software files to check  whether given FTP user has enough rights to upload data to the server. Test folder is deleted once all files are successfully added.
Stuart
Stuart Jan 3 '13
I guess its my strange permissions. The ftp user has been added to the www-data group.

I don't use ftp really. The only area's where www-data has write access is the usual folders.

I guess I will have to change the file owner from root to the ftp-user instead of being done at a group level.

Thing is why write a test folder in core when nothing is going to be written there. I presume everything will be ftped to the plugin folder so why not there?

Stuart
Stuart Jan 3 '13
Aliia I tried to change the owner to the ftp for all file and directories.

This works with an ftp client.

Oxwall still can't access.

Looking at the logs it is due to the file path.

FAIL MKDIR: Client "127.0.0.1", "/var/www/var/www/ow_core/test"
I guess that should be /var/www/ow_core/test and not the above

Stuart
Stuart Jan 5 '13
Allia any update on why oxwall is trying to create a directory on /var/www/var/www/ow_core/test as it would seem the path string has doubled up /var/www

Anyone else I am on ubuntu 12.04 with apache

The Forum post is edited by Stuart Jan 5 '13
Stuart
Stuart Jan 9 '13
Anyone else getting the same in there logs?
Alia Team
Alia Jan 10 '13
Stuart do you mind PMing me FTP and admin panel access details?