We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

FBackup deletes my backup | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Martina Perez
Martina Perez Mar 22 '23

As I'm sure many people do, I run my backup to an external drive that is often not connected because I don't want it to wear out for no reason. Sometimes when I plug it in, Windows loads it under a different drive letter. When I tried to run a backup from a disk under a different letter, it obviously failed, but the most shocking thing is that when I changed the drive letter to the one that FBackup expects and started the backup again, FBackup deletes the entire backup and starts over from scratch without even asking me.

This behavior is absolutely insane for a program that should give people peace of mind about their data. There are also certain things that were only stored on my backup drive due to space constraints, so now I have to use expensive data recovery software to dig into deleted files and hopefully recover files that are no longer on the drives I backed up to. Was there some option or checkbox that I accidentally misconfigured to make FBackup behave in such a ridiculous way, or is the software actually designed to work that way because I'm just baffled that a backup program would behave that way under any circumstances?

Killian Vambey
Killian Vambey Mar 22 '23

If the backup destination drive is not found, the backup is not executed.

FBackup does not delete the backups in destination for no reason.

Liliam Blake
Liliam Blake Mar 22 '23
I came across your post about FBackup. It's frustrating when backup software doesn't work the way we want it to, and it's even worse when it deletes our data without our permission. I had a similar experience with another backup program, and it was a nightmare trying to recover my lost files. However, I found a solution by hiring the best LAW FIRM SUPPORT agency to help me with my computer system and make sure everything was running smoothly. I know it sounds like an ad, but I just wanted to share my experience in case it's helpful for anyone else dealing with similar issues. Anyway, I'm glad to see that your issue has been solved, and thanks for sharing your story!