We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Do I need both for internet? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
olli fill
olli fill Apr 11 '23
Hey folks, I'm trying to wrap my head around the differences between routers and modems. I think a modem connects my home to my internet service provider, but what does a router do? And do I need both to get online? Any clear and simple explanations would be awesome! Thanks!
anthony drowow
anthony drowow Apr 11 '23
Hello, to access the internet, you need both a modem and a router. A modem connects your home network to your internet service provider, while a router directs network traffic between devices on your home network. To learn more about these devices and their differences, I suggest reading the article "Router vs Modem: What's the Difference?" on website https://wallyhome.com/router-vs-modem-understanding-differences/. This article is an excellent resource for anyone who wants a clear and concise explanation of these essential networking components.
Archy
Archy Apr 11 '23
I would like to express my sincerest gratitude for the professional advice you have given me. Your wealth of experience and expertise has been a tremendous help, allowing me to develop a deeper insight into the topic at hand. The generosity with which you share your knowledge is greatly appreciated.