We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

HVAC Recommendations | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
John
John Jun 8 '23
Our zone 1 (first 2 levels) AC stopped working last summer.  We currently have a 14 years old Goodman gas furnace and 1.5 ton AC (running R22).  A contractor I emailed estimated that it would cost about $1500 to fix assuming it's a leak in the A coil.

I got these 2 estimates to replace the whole system:

Caffi Services

Trademasters

They're both between $6500-8000 and will require a crane to lift the condenser onto the 4th floor roof.

The zone 2 system is a heat pump and is also 14 years old.  11 years ago I had the A coil replaced.  I had actually asked for estimates to replace both systems since a crane is going to be required either way, but that's going to be $16,500 - $18,000.  That's too much to spend at one time.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to fix a 14 year old system.  I've heard that Goodman systems only last about 10 years so I feel like we were already running on borrowed time.  My friend said I should just fix it since it's significantly cheaper and see how long it lasts, if something else breaks worry about it at that time.  $6500-8000 is a lot of money to shell out so $1500 does sound a lot better to me.

My understanding is that a new refrigerant is going to be coming out in 2023 so I wonder if I should wait for that or just go with an R410 system or fix what I have.

Does anyone have any AC system recommendations or local HVAC contractor recommendations in the Northern Virginia area?

Thanks!
Norman Fallan
Norman Fallan Jun 8 '23
I live in Texas and the climate it very different so I cannot give a good suggestion. I did a HVAC replace a couple years ago and the only comment I can provide is to take the AHRI # for whatever system they are recommending and see if there are other combinations that have better efficiencies.
Elijah Black
Elijah Black Jun 8 '23
I feel your struggle with HVAC issues, especially when it gets scorchingly hot in the summer. I stumbled across your post while browsing online for similar info. I can totally relate to the dilemma of whether to fix or replace your AC system.
I did come across Appliance Repair, Nashville, which could be helpful when you don't want to replace your appliances. It's always worth considering all your options and getting multiple quotes from local HVAC contractors in the Northern Virginia area.
As for the new refrigerant coming out in 2023, it's something to keep in mind. If you can wait and weigh the pros and cons of the different refrigerants, it might be worth exploring.
In the end, it's about finding the best solution for your specific situation and budget. Good luck with your HVAC decision, and I'm here if you have any more questions or need further assistance.
The Forum post is edited by Elijah Black Jun 8 '23
MatthewMorgan
MatthewMorgan Nov 15 '23
HVAC recommendations are crucial for optimizing comfort and energy efficiency in any space. Proper system sizing, regular maintenance, and use of energy-efficient equipment are key. I say you can get HVAC repair lewisboro and learn more information about the Ac. It's essential to consider the specific needs of the environment, whether residential or commercial, and factor in local climate conditions. Smart thermostats, proper insulation, and ventilation also play pivotal roles. A well-informed approach to HVAC ensures a balanced and cost-effective solution for temperature control. Stop