We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Password protect directories/files? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Sean T
Sean T Jan 15 '13
I have some files in a directory which I would like to password protect with the oxwall user accounts. I am trying to generate an htaccess file with a php cron script, but I don't have access to the user passwords. Is there some way I can make htaccess work with the encrypted passwords, or is there some other way to password protect directories/files with oxwall? The problem is that if there is a file in a publicly accessible folder or uploaded in a group (with file upload plugin), the files are accessible to anyone with the URL. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
You can decrypt the user password as they are encrypted. Only if you can do this, you can generate the required .htaccess file.
Purusothaman Ramanujam

Quote from Paul Cuffe you would need a PHP script to decrypt the password from the DB

It's not possible to decrypt as its a one-way encryption by SHA1. You can decrypt only the two-way encryption.