We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Windows Gaming PC hardware, building, troubleshooting, & benchmarking | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Pawl Kerson
Pawl Kerson Jun 26 '23
The main reason MS do it is that it's cheaper to support only one OS, that being the newest one.
Having security experts code fixes for Windows 7 etc is expensive. This is why they kind of gave away Windows 10 for win7 users its ultimately just cheaper easier for MS.

I too am still on the X58 platform, I used to have an i920 but I bought a 1366 X58 compatible Xeon hex-core X5575 CPU for $45AUD and overclocked the crap out of it to 4.6Ghz
I too installed windows 10 on a newly installed SSD on my X58 but conversely what I love about Windows 10 is that I haven't had to install any drivers, Win10 detects everything perfectly, no driver downloads.
No driver problems, no instability problems.
Kelvin Faulkner
Kelvin Faulkner Jun 26 '23
I wouldn't hold my breath on 5Ghz CPUs. We've had 4+Ghz CPUs for like 15 years now, my new Ryzen has a lower clock speed than the (much slower) one it replaced. So, effective IPC continues to climb, but don't look for 5Ghz processors to be a cost effective performace solution.
Tony Harrington
Tony Harrington Jun 26 '23
This forum needs to be updated, but I would like to respond here. It can be annoying when you have a perfect PC but can't run the latest OS smoothly. I agree with you that Windows 10 has its advantages, especially regarding driver detection. It's convenient not having to manually install drivers and experiencing fewer stability problems. Your benchmark results look fantastic, by the way. Patience is critical, and holding out for those substantial improvements is smart. Have you ever looked into getting cheap windows 10 keys? They can be a cost-effective solution if you upgrade or reinstall Windows. It might be worth considering.
Michelle Tomlinson
Upgrade your digital experience with a Windows 11 license. Dive into a world of innovation and efficiency with its intuitive interface and cutting-edge features. From enhanced gaming capabilities to seamless integration with productivity apps windows 11 licentie delivers a transformative computing experience. Secure your access to the next generation of Windows and unlock new possibilities for creativity, productivity, and entertainment with a Windows 11 license