We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

BEST 'HAND-DRAWN' GAME | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Jesse Hiserp
Jesse Hiserp Aug 11 '23

I've been playing a ton of Spiritfarer on Switch and after 20 hours or so with it I can confidently say it's a very strong front-runner for my GotY2020. Besides being one of the most warm and heartfelt games I've ever played I love the hand-drawn art direction. I even went and bought the rest of Thunder Lotus' catalog since they were on sale and they also have that same amazing hand-drawn style.

And the more I think about it I gotta say my favorite technological advancement in modern gaming is that games can now look and move like crisp and clear hand-drawn animation; something that I've always wanted since I was a kid.

So, as of right now I'll give Spiritfarer my pick. I love the Ghibli-style softness to everything and how perfectly the animation expresses such subtle emotions (those hugs, man!). And the character designs are among the best I've seen in my 40 years of gaming!

What are your favorite hand-drawn games? The inevitable Cuphead (I love the art direction, butt fuck do I hate playing the game)? Something from SuperGiant? Darkest Dungeon?

waltergogs
waltergogs Aug 11 '23
Well you just convinced me to pick up Spiritfarer. :D

As someone who has been obsessed with animation for as long as I remember, I too absolutely love this newer ability devs have.

As for my pick, that is VERY tough, but I would go with: Dragon's Crown. Even though the big tiddee anime girls character design is embarrassing. Also shout out to Street fighter Three and Darkstalker's (even though they are sprites they are heavily based on hand drawn animation).
Jeff
Jeff Aug 11 '23
I took the same leap and got Thunder Lotus' games too – that artistic consistency is something special. And I totally get your excitement about the animation quality nowadays. It's like a childhood dream come true! Spiritfarer's got my vote too. The Ghibli vibes are unreal, right? Those little animated touches like the hugs make the emotions feel so real. And character designs? Don't even get me started – they're in a league of their own. And I'm trying to figure out how to make $100 fast, but that's a whole different adventure! As for other faves, Cuphead's art is amazing, but I'm with you – the game's a bit of a challenge. And oh, SuperGiant and Darkest Dungeon are awesome mentions!
The Forum post is edited by Jeff Aug 11 '23