We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Invalid FTP attributes! Provided user doesn't have permissions to overwrite files. | Forum

Spess
Spess Jan 24 '13
Found several results on google but no clear answer on them.

I have downloaded a new theme, tried uploading it and when it asks for all the info like name/password etc. i get the message:

'Invalid FTP attributes! Provided user doesn't have permissions to overwrite files.'

Any idea on a work around? :/
Cheers.
Pete
Pete Jan 24 '13

Host = ftp.yourdomain.com

user = your ftp username = username

password = your ftp password = asdrtiok

this should work fine for you .

The Forum post is edited by Pete Jan 24 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Pete,

It might work for few but not for many. For example my server uses ftpes and not ftp.
Stuart
Stuart Jan 26 '13
I have posted this before and can anybody access there ftp log?

I am running ubuntu with vsftp.

If I look at the log authentication then authentication works. When oxwall creates a test directory on my server its making a root location duplication.

It starts with \var\www\var\www it doesn't exist as it should be \var\www

Oxwall states ftp auth error but actually its trying to create a directory in a a directory that doesn't exist.

Michael I.
Michael I. Jan 30 '13
We are constantly receiving such reports, but never received any access details when requested. Could someone drop me a PM with FTP and Admin Panel access so that we could investigate into this issue deeper.

Oh, and don't you use root FTP account?

Stuart
Stuart Feb 6 '13
Michael if I use an ftp client I have no problem.

The owner of /var/www is the same as the ftp user I messaged you with.

group permissions are with www-data.

ubuntu 12.04.

Wed Feb  6 08:56:33 2013 [pid 2] CONNECT: Client "127.0.0.1"Wed Feb  6 08:56:33 2013 [pid 1] [ftp-user] OK LOGIN: Client "127.0.0.1"Wed Feb  6 08:56:33 2013 [pid 3] [ftp-user] FAIL MKDIR: Client "127.0.0.1", "/var/www/var/www/ow_core/test"Wed Feb  6 08:56:58 2013 [pid 2] CONNECT: Client "127.0.0.1"Wed Feb  6 08:56:58 2013 [pid 1] [ftp-user] OK LOGIN: Client "127.0.0.1"Wed Feb  6 08:56:59 2013 [pid 3] [ftp-user] FAIL MKDIR: Client "127.0.0.1", "/var/www/var/www/ow_core/test"

I have changed the user name but will pm you with details.

The above is from my /var/log/vsftp.log and it plainly states that ftp authenticates on local host as that is oxwall trying to set the ftp details. Oxwall then tries to create a dummy directory in ow_core called test. problem is the preceding directory structure as I don't know why oxwall thinks /var/www/var/www exists? The root directory for install is /var/www and if oxwall had tried to create a directory with /var/www/ow_core/test then it would of worked but obviously /var/www/var/www/ow_core/test will not.

My server is an ubuntu 12.04 server with shadow passwords with no root user. Each service has its own user and is limited for that service. The FTP user I will pm you with has owner rights to the whole oxwall install. So it doesn't need to be root. In fact its more secure not being root.

Help as its NOT! a authentication error just for some reason oxwall only on ftp is getting the oxwall root install directory wrong. Somewhere in the code it is doing a duplication and getting /var/www/var/www instead of /var/

Ahrrrrgh !!!! :) lol I am sure we will work it out eventually.

Stuart 

The Forum post is edited by Stuart Feb 6 '13
Attachments:
  ftp-auth-error.png (161.15Kb)
Christopher
Christopher Feb 17 '13
I think I've narrowed down the culprit in ow_utilities/ftp.php and doesn't play very well with the ftproot settings.

Say my directory for the ow_core is /foo/bar/ow_core, which is what getting passed in,

when it trickles down to the function
private function getPath( $path )

$this->ftpRootDir is set at "/"

Which falls down through to this line;
$path = substr($path, strlen($this->ftpRootDir));

/foo/bar/ow_core
changes to
foo/bar/ow_core

Which isn't a valid path,

So I added at the beginning of the path tests

if ( substr($path, 0,1) === "/")
        {
            return $path;
        }   

Haven't fully tested it yet, just though I'd let you know.  If you don't mind hacking the core, have at it :-)