We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Roku Not Displaying 4K Consistently | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Martina Perez
Martina Perez Sep 11 '23
My setup is as follows:

—Denon AVR-X4700H AV receiver
—77-inch LG 4K OLED 77C1 TV (OLED77C1PUB)
—Panasonic DP-UB9000 Ultra HD 4K Blu-Ray Player
—Roku Ultra HDR 4K UHD Streaming Media Player (2020 release)
-5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Immediately after installation, I noticed that my Roku Ultra does not always recognize that I have a 4K TV and is not configured. In fact, most of the time he is convinced that my system is no better than 1080p. As a result, it broadcasts content in 1080p resolution.

Roku is unstable when it checks if my connected TV is a 4K device. Sometimes he guesses correctly; other times he guesses incorrectly. In cases where the system recognizes my 4K system, the stream, especially when starting Netflix, becomes spotty, darkened, flashes white, or displays an error message saying that 4K is unavailable. I'm planning to replace the HDMI cables that connect the Roku to my receiver. I don't know if this will solve the problem.

What else could be causing this problem?
Claudette Leanna
Claudette Leanna Sep 11 '23
A firmware update for your Roku and other devices could help fix software-based glitches that might be causing the problem. Checking for updates and applying them could be the last piece of the puzzle.
MaisieRowe
MaisieRowe Sep 11 '23
I feel your pain; getting your home entertainment system to work flawlessly can sometimes feel like orchestrating a space mission! You've got a pretty impressive setup, so I can understand why you'd expect top-notch 4K streaming.
Firstly, swapping out the HDMI cables is a good start. Ensure you're using HDMI 2.0 cables, as older versions may not support 4K streaming. If that doesn't fix the issue, it might be worth diving into your Roku settings. Navigate to Settings > Display type and make sure it's set to 4K HDR. If it's set to "Auto-detect," Roku might get confused and default to 1080p.
If you're using any streaming services via Roku, such as iptv roku, make sure those are also configured to stream in 4K. Some IPTV services require you to manually set the video quality, so that's something to check out as well.
The Forum post is edited by MaisieRowe Sep 11 '23