We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

writing articles and posting to categories | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Anders
Anders Feb 4 '13
Hi!

I'm looking into oxwall for the first time, and the first impression is great :)

What I aim to do is to create a small community for writers, and I would like it to be possible to post poetry and short stories in different categories. 

So my question is. Is there any support for writing articles and placing them in categories with oxwall? Perhaps something like pages in wordpress?

If there isn't anything that does what i want I don't mind writing my own plugin. In that case I'd really appreciate any suggestions on built in features or other plugins that could be used. Perhaps there is some category system built in to oxwall?

Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Feb 4 '13
blogs

Jacq
Jacq Feb 4 '13
groups
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Being a writer myself, here are my thoughts on this.

Blogs will do good for that but it misses categories.

When groups are used each writer should have each group, which becomes clumsy.

So I would go with blogs, and use tags instead of category.
Anders
Anders Feb 4 '13
Thank you, very nice to get answers so fast :)

I don't think either of these soultions will do exactly what I want. Blogs with tags could work but I think predefined categories would fit my needs better. 

More suggestions are welcome :) At the moment I think I'll look into creating a custom plugin for this.

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Yeah. I second you. If you have some defined requirement, please go ahead with your custom plugin.
Alex Philipp
Alex Philipp Feb 4 '13
You can get this plugin free Just push it User Wiki + categories + newsfeed))
The Forum post is edited by Alex Philipp Feb 4 '13
Alex Philipp
Alex Philipp Feb 4 '13
Quote from Alex Philipp You can get this plugin free Just push it User Wiki + categories + newsfeed))
And also set user role for this 
yoursite.com/admin/permissions/roles/
Tester
Tester Feb 4 '13
Wow, I didn't know about User Wiki.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
wiki is a good option. but being a wiki, other users should not be allowed to edit your writing. any write would not agree others editing their work.
Alex Philipp
Alex Philipp Feb 4 '13
Quote from Purusothaman Ramanujam wiki is a good option. but being a wiki, other users should not be allowed to edit your writing. any write would not agree others editing their work.
Set user roles..and this one http://hypercomments.com/en   for more effects)))

Tester
Tester Feb 4 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam I saw the User Role alows editing it deleting it, what ever.
Please shed mor light on it. Do you mean to say Admin can't edit other's pages?
The Forum post is edited by Tester Feb 4 '13
cit27
cit27 Feb 4 '13

Quote from Tester Wow, I didn't know about User Wiki.

I tested the userwiki in your site but I found the same error what i type here: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/8287
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Alex:
How is hypercomments commenting platform related to this post? Please let me know if I missed something.

Tester:
Admin should be able to edit and not by other users. In that case, it does not behave like a wiki. The basic concept of a wiki is collaborative editing.
Alex Philipp
Alex Philipp Feb 4 '13
Quote from Purusothaman Ramanujam Alex:
How is hypercomments commenting platform related to this post? Please let me know if I missed something.
Yes, 
Purusothaman Ramanujam, hypercomments lets users make and share effective comments for any articles and categories (see the title for this topic) So if you are writer, and write not only for this Forum, it might be helpful..

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Thanks Alex.
Tester
Tester Feb 5 '13
Trying pages. The biggest problem is language. 

Even when I use all the tools available for keying in a text in my native language (Malayalam) directly, it doesn't work. Cut and Paste also doesn't work. The funny thing is the editor shows some Malayalam fonts.

The Forum post is edited by Tester Feb 5 '13
Tester
Tester Feb 5 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Admin should be able to edit and not by other users. Fair enough. I am not following the wiki concept (though I am a Wikipedia Editor/Contributor); I want to find another use for it on my site. As long as a user can edit his own stuff, it's ok with me, and I don't want a user editing/delting others' stuff. But the language problem (mentioned in my previous posting) poses a problem for me. Thanks.
beyondherd
beyondherd Dec 23 '23
Looking for the same answer because I want to post things related to my webpage: Urdu poetry portal. Urdu poetry is a celebration of diverse emotions and perspectives. Our portal embraces the myriad expressions of the human experience, providing a platform for poets from all walks of life to share their unique voices.
The Forum post is edited by beyondherd Dec 23 '23
beyondherd
beyondherd Feb 17
I am also looking for the same things for the well being of my web kashmir day poetry in urdu. Let me know if any writer in interested to work with me. Thanks