We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Memory leaks - MailChimp Integration for Oxwall | Forum

Den Team
Den Feb 5 '13
Thanks for the long-waited integration. 

There is an issue when a huge (~10k) amount of users are synched with mail list. Here is an error message we get:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1572864 bytes) in /home/oxwallo/public_html/ow_core/database.php on line 433

It looks like the memory leaks. What's about to set this task for cron execution? 

The Forum post is edited by Den Feb 5 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Thanks for this finding.  I could not personally test that with that much users as I don't maintain an active list.

I will convert that to a cron to handle 100 users for each run.

If you are personally using this plugin, I would also like to know other feedback's.
Den Team
Den Feb 5 '13
We've just started to use it for oxwall.org web site. Tried to synch all active users with mailchimp and got failed with it. 

Also noticed, that it's impossible to assign automatically into mail list if a user has been joined to the specific role associated with the mail list. 

For example:

There are several user roles on a site: Standard/Advanced

And there are different email campaigns created on Mailchimp for different user roles. 

Every time the admin perform a mass mailing for different roles, he must execute synch operation in plugin settings. (Also, that process could cause memory leaks issue. Because as more profiles registered with the role, as more server's resources is required to perform a synchronization)

The better to associate any specific user roles with mail list only once. And then, as every new user is joined to the role, then automatically assign him with the associated mail list on mailchimp. 

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Thanks for feedback. Will improve on this plugin so that it can be widely use.
Den Team
Den Feb 5 '13
Waiting for plugin's update to run it here, on www.oxwall.org

Thanks for cooperation.

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Sure. I will do my best on this.
Den Team
Den Feb 27 '13
Hello Purus,

Is there any news? Still waiting for updates to setup the plugin here. 

Purusothaman Ramanujam
I could not reproduce the memory issue to test my changes.

I will have it tested in one of my friends live server and update you soon in this week.
Den Team
Den Feb 27 '13
Ok, thanks for sorting this. 
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Den,

I m currently working on this. Can you provide more info on when you get the memory leak issue? During the manual syncup process?
Den Team
Den Mar 1 '13
Purus,

Yes, the error message is appeared when manual synch will be applied with more then 8k users. Perhaps, too many profiles are attempted to be synhed for one iteration. 

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Thanks for the input. I will convert this process to a cron to handle 100 users every 30 minutes.
Den Team
Den Mar 3 '13
thumbs up!
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Thanks. Here is the plan.

Every time the cron runs, it will start from where it left last time.. (100 users each time)
Den Team
Den Mar 3 '13
Looks good Purus. Perhaps, 100 users is too small. The assignment with users base 6k will take an hour.  You can play with this number with  default shared hosting settings for memory limit (32M)
Purusothaman Ramanujam
May be, I will have this as an settings in admin page, so that other users can chose their own limit based on their server limitations.
You do not have permission to reply this topic