We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Email verification (i dont know is it bug or not) | Forum

Kuido
Kuido Feb 7 '13
Hi,

My problem is that user register to my site and all complete and email verification message sent, but in message, links dont work. Actually if i open message and click to link "clicking here" or "verification page" i get message:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /email-verify-form on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

What is wrong and how i can fix this.

Thanks.

Dean L
Dean L Feb 7 '13
You've probably already checked but have you made sure your permission settings are correct?
Kuido
Kuido Feb 8 '13
yes... i think so... is it more to do, i have changed userfiles, static and plugins to 777
Dean L
Dean L Feb 8 '13

As I'm aware it should be 777 for all of these:

ow_pluginfiles

ow_userfiles,

ow_static,

ow_smarty/template_c

Dean L
Dean L Feb 8 '13
I would also set ow_system_plugins to 777 just to test and see if it solves the issue.
Kuido
Kuido Feb 8 '13
yes pluginfiles, my mistake and template_c have too 777 and i try system_plugins, but same... dont work
Kuido
Kuido Feb 8 '13
I dont know is it possible, but i try different mail address and then it works and if i make new account and put this old email, then i dont get verification email. How this is possible.
Dean L
Dean L Feb 8 '13
I'm really not sure, sounds weird... Although, if it works with a different email address that means it isn't a permission problem.
Kuido
Kuido Feb 8 '13
this is very weird :( i now try different mails and lets see what happens
Kuido
Kuido Feb 8 '13
i think it is mail server problem, because if i copy this address bar to new tab and go, then it works. But bad thing is that some email servers put my emails to spam box.
Dean L
Dean L Feb 8 '13
Not sure if you're aware but you should always make sure the outgoing email address is the same as your domain; i.e:

admin@mysite.com as opposed to myhotmail@hotmail.com

Also, always make sure there is an option to 'unsubscribe' with a link back to your site. Avoid using all image emails and if possible include a physical address in the footer.

These things help beat spam filters :-)
Dean L
Dean L Feb 8 '13
For the issue of mail not sending have you tried to setup your SMTP?

/admin/settings/email

If you haven't then maybe it would be worth a try.... Or, if you have already then disable it and see if that helps.
Alia Team
Alia Feb 14 '13
Kuido,

>>404 forbidden error.

In most of the cases you get this error because of server settings.
So I suggest contacting your hosting company and checking all available error logs just in case.

Were you able to solve the issue with emails not being sent? Are there any other outstanding email related issues right now?