We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Administrator Account type question and Account type/roles explained | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
David A
David A Feb 11 '13
Hello all,
I recently played around with Account types and then noticed that the administrator account type is listed in the profile as something like ( see below) 

I was wondering if this was normal or what caused it. Was it adjusting account types after the account had been created?

I am also wondering that the thinking is behind having user account types and user roles as separate settings?  What is the philosophy behind it?
Account type base+questions_account_type_aeUB8yOCCJOQ5PD5b4z70y....(it continues)
Real name admin Join Date 08/06/2012
Alia Team
Alia Feb 11 '13
David,

>>>What is the philosophy behind it?

First of all, let me explain what the 'Account type' field is needed for.
Let's presume that your site is a business portal for potential employers and those who is looking for a job. So, there should be two different sets of profile questions separately for the employers and for those looking for job vacancies on your site. That's why you should create an additional Account type and select the different profile questions for it.

And if while searching you choose a certain Account type, you will see only those profile questions that had been set for this type. And there is no needed to change the 'Account type' field for multiple choices, because if you are an employer you will search only for the people looking for a job.

User Roles feature is a members' limitation. You can set the limit for each of the member roles. For example: You have two roles - 'Standard' and 'Gold'.
A member with the 'Gold' role can read forum topics. But a member with the 'Standard' role can not do it, as his role limitations do not allow him to do that.
You will be able to select the services that will be available for members with 'Standard' or 'Gold' roles.

>>I was wondering if this was normal or what caused it. Was it adjusting account types after the account had been created?

Have you deleted any account types while playing around with them?
David A
David A Feb 12 '13
Thanks for the detailed explanation... that makes sense.

I might have... deleted one. I will check.

Is there a limit to how many different "account types" i can create?   If when setting up a site, I create, 4 can I add more later without causing issues?  What will happen if i  add additional account type /profile questions after members have already answered "old" previous profile questions?