We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Tesla Autopilot. | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
idayrare corded
idayrare corded Oct 25 '23
I took an Uber home from the airport last night. Guy had a two month old Tesla 3. He said he absolutely loved it. Man that thing was smooth and fast. I couldn't believe someone would use such a nice car to do Uber with.

I was watching the screen from the back seat and saw he'd put it on autopilot. We were on Pacific Coast Highway, at about 50 MPH. As we were going through an intersection, I noted that the car was looking like it was going to come very close to a 3" high concrete island separating the N/S lanes.

I figured the car would either just miss it or correct in time but nope. WHAM. Hit front and rear driver's side tires on the end of the island. He continued to drive me the last mile home. When we got there and looked, the front tire was way low, back one had a big hole in the sidewall. I was surprised that the rims didn't look damaged.

I felt soooo bad for the guy. He was super nice. I'd already paid and given him a tip through the app right after we left the airport, but I handed him a $100 bill to help cover the cost. He refused, but I tossed it onto his seat and said goodnight. He waited for over an hour until a flatbed showed up. :(
Alex
Alex Oct 25 '23
He wasn't very smart. They are not designed to recognize something that low.
Rylee Davenport
Rylee Davenport Oct 25 '23
Even though my response is a bit belated, I’d like to share my two cents. I think this situation is a good reminder that technology, as advanced as it is, still has room for improvement. But the exciting part is how rapidly it's evolving, especially in the world of Tesla. The availability of various tesla model y accessories, enhancing the user experience, shows just how dynamic the ecosystem is becoming. While incidents like the one you described may happen, it's likely that as technology continues to advance and Tesla keeps innovating, such situations will become rarer. Here's to a future of even smoother and safer journeys with our favorite electric companions!