We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

What are you reading? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
idayrare corded
idayrare corded Nov 6 '23
What are you reading? :)

I'm hoping people will respond to this thread more than once over time as they read different books. The Books subforum here moves very slowly, so ideally this thread will serve as one place for "water cooler discussion" between members of the forum community.

I'll reply below to kick off the thread.
Emily Blake
Emily Blake Nov 6 '23
I tend to read several books at the same time. I am reading three books at present:

1. Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo. This is an amazing book on a lot of levels. I read it in college and I'm re-reading it now. The writing is very good and I love how quickly the plot moves at points. The only downside is the rather long digressions Hugo indulges in.

2. Why Evolution is True, by Jerry Coyne. This is a really interesting book. I am reading it along with @Caroljeen and some atheists on the Evolution subforum. I don't have any interest in ""refuting creationism,"" but learning how a scientific genius like Darwin thought and reasoned is fascinating.

3. Descartes: Selected Philosophical Writings by Cottingham, Stoothoff, and Murdoch. I am working through this slowly while taking notes. Very dense, and deceptively nuanced. I am currently on the Objections and Replies to the Meditations.

Ask me questions, or post your current reading!
William Hopster
William Hopster Nov 6 '23
Currently, I'm knee-deep in the harry potter books, and let me tell you, it's like a cozy trip down memory lane. Revisiting Hogwarts, the magic, and the characters is like reconnecting with old friends. Harry, Hermione, and Ron are always up to something exciting.
But here's the deal: I'm not just about the wizarding world; I'm all ears for your book recommendations, too! What hidden literary gems have you discovered lately? Whether it's an epic fantasy adventure, a gripping thriller, or a thought-provoking non-fiction book, I'm up for some bookish banter.
The Forum post is edited by William Hopster Nov 6 '23