We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Something rather interesting turned up today reference the spamming agent | Forum

Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 18 '13
I totally hate this spam agent that uses the default avatar with the frame. So I have been trying to trace the jerk.

Going through the advertisers using this system I found this interesting Oxwall site because one of its users was using the agent to spam.

http://monthsary.ph

This was the abusing advert

I registered using facebook just to communicate with the owner however i find I am in a green room role. lol So I can not do a thing, lol 

I am now wonder because the site is totally been spammed by the dreaded spam agent is this site a spam trap to capture IP addresses. Any one here own the site?

The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 18 '13
Oliver
Oliver Feb 21 '13
Hello,

although I am not the site owner of that page, I have a different page which is steadily getting spammed with this spam robot. They seem to be able to decrypt the captcha, so every 3 - 10 minutes a new user registers and creates either a Blog entry, a Link or a Feed comment, directly after logging in. 

So I am really thinking about implementing Recaptcha for Oxwall, but right now I am struggling with the plugin structure of oxwall. I already have renamed the directories "contactus" to something else and still the plugin is showing up. The problem is that there must be some other location where the Contact us plugin resides (but I looked for it and could not find it). I am going through the crash course ...

Well, and this spamming robot is really annoying. When you have disabled Blogs, Links and Feed comments it cannot post anymore, but you're still getting new user registrations by a bot every few minutes. And you cannot simply disable all email addresses carrying "hotmail.com" in Oxwall. 

I don't think new user registrations will stop by itself :) and I cannot do anything about it because the IP address detection does not seem to work on my host.

To me it looks as if monthsary.ph is the victim and not the origin of this ... 

The Forum post is edited by Oliver Feb 22 '13
Attachments:
  feed.png (154.04Kb)
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 21 '13
To stop spam you have taken the right first step, the second step is to defeat the spamming agents template you have to add about 2 or 3 new required questions to your profile questions. This blocks the default avatar spam dead.

Actual its one of the advertisers using their account on monthsary.ph to re spam other oxwall and wall sites.