We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Travelling with expensive binoculars | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
idayrare corded
idayrare corded Dec 8 '23
I'm leaving this summer for 3 weeks in Indonesia for a backpacking trip.

It's not a bird focus trip but I still want to enjoy the birds I will meet on the different islands and in the jungle.

I have at my disposal my NL Pure 10x32 or a very old pair of Zeiss 8x20.

Part of me says that I bought a pair of binoculars that produce the best images imaginable so I might as well take them with me everywhere but another part of me says that it might be a bit risky to bring them with me?

I've been lucky enough to travel a lot and I've never had a problem with theft and I think that a pair of binoculars is even less prized by thieves but I'd feel terrible if my NL Pure was stolen.

So I wanted to know what are your opinions about traveling with high end binoculars?

Should I take the old Zeiss 8x20 but sacrifice the image quality or take the NL Pure because it's safe?
William Hopster
William Hopster Dec 8 '23
Wow. That's a dilemma. Normally I'd say, take the NLs - that's what you bought them for. But backpacking?!? That's a risk because you'll presumably be in insecure accommodation a lot of the time, taking public buses, leaving your stuff somewhere on the beach, etc, and you may not want to have to be constantly thinking about whether your binoculars are safe.

I'd almost be tempted to buy a separate, modestly-priced travel pair. There are good binoculars available for a couple of hundred $ these days. If you want some extra incentive, neither 8x20 or 10x32 is an ideal configuration for tropical forests (and I say that as a user of 10x32s as my primary bins).
Jeremy Blake
Jeremy Blake Dec 8 '23
Considering the jungles and islands, portability might be key. The Zeiss 8x20, although older, is compact and less conspicuous, reducing the risk of theft. Yet, sacrificing image quality might affect your bird-watching experience.
Security-wise, it's true that binoculars might not be a prime target, but it's essential to prioritize peace of mind. Perhaps consider a compromise: using the NL Pure in safe environments or during specific bird-watching excursions while keeping a more discreet pair for general use.
Just like I did on my trip to Aguila de Osa: https://aguiladeosa.com/, where preserving the enjoyment of nature while ensuring the safety of my equipment was crucial. Ultimately, finding the right balance between quality and security will make your bird encounters in Indonesia even more memorable!
The Forum post is edited by Jeremy Blake Dec 8 '23
lostangel
lostangel Dec 13 '23
Quickly this site might undoubtedly become well-known among most blogging and site-building people, for that painstaking posts as well as critiques. Readmore: i9bet - 8kbet - sky88 - bet88