We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Photos Not Appearing After Uploading To Site | Forum

John
John Aug 5 '10
When I upload a photo, I get the photo uploaded message but no uploaded photos are showing on the site.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
The Forum post is edited by John Aug 5 '10
John
John Aug 6 '10
I resolved this problem. It seems that no Folder was created to hold the photos so none were showing up after being uploaded. I created a folder for the photos and all is well with that issue now.
Reddemon
Reddemon Aug 6 '10
Heres the solution for the photos not appearing. The problem is that there is no folder for the photos to be saved to so all you'll need to do is add the folder "photo" to the directory "ow_userfiles/plugins/"

finally looking like "ow_userfiles/plugins/photo"

I hope this helps.
The Forum post is edited by Reddemon Aug 6 '10
Emil Team
Emil Aug 9 '10
Hey, sorry for that! We fixed that in beta 2. Thank you!
Phillip Hagerman
Phillip Hagerman Feb 25 '11
I have a similar problem on my new install. Here are are the details of what I've tried.

I've made the following changes to php.ini settings:
upload_max_filesize = 512M
post_max_size = 512M

The PHP memory_limit is set to 90M

I've also made the following recursive permissions in my environment
chmod -R 777 ow_userfiles
chmod -R 777 ow_pluginfiles

I've verified the ow_userfiles/plugins/photo exists and has appropriate permissions

The source image in my first test is 3.23MB and is 3744x5616
(3744x5616x3) =~ 60M

When I upload this file, I see the progress in the statusbar of my browser and when it appears to complete, the screen goes to a white page with just
http://---.com/photo/upload/index/ in the address bar. Nothing else comes up, on the page (I was hoping to see an error).

If I refresh it comes back to the upload page with no error messages again, and if I look at my photos, I can see the album was created, and it has a broken image, everything looks just like it should except the image is missing.

If I use a smaller photo (229KB @ 936x1404) everything works, so I think there is an upper limit that my first photo exceeded some limit somewhere, but it isn't clear what it is, or that the first photo exceeded it.

Any ideas from the community, is there something missing or incorrect in what I've got above?
Phillip Hagerman
Phillip Hagerman Feb 25 '11
One more thing that I discovered, when i look at the settings for the photos plugin, in the side of the top section it says this:

The photo cannot be uploaded if the size limit is exceeded. The possible limit is 0.5 Mb

So this is evidently the limit I have exceeded, but how do I change this?
Michael Leader
Michael Feb 26 '11
I don't understand why you would want to upload such a large photo in the first place! I would honestly suggest that instead of getting hung on the limitations consider the best practice. No one will sit and wait for a large file to be downloaded and also, for image theft large resolution high quality images are prime targets.
In the photo plugin I have it set to 1MB which is more than enough for the application and it's purpose.

My host allows 10M upload as per php.ini, my personal server is configured for 1024M but oxwall plugin settings I have set for 1MB.
Phillip Hagerman
Phillip Hagerman Feb 26 '11

My Oxwall implementation is a private family network, so I'm not really concerned about image theft, actually quite the opposite. I want my family that lives overseas to be able to grab the originals so they can get them printed out for themselves if they like, and we want to do the same with their photos.

Remember the images files themselves are only about 3MB, so it isn't really a large file. The issue comes down to the in-memory processing of the image to create the thumbmail image and the gallery image. As such, increasing the memory limit for PHP has resolved this issue for me.

The real reason this is in the Bug Tracker area is because the nature of the failure state is not communicated to the uploading user, so the user has no way of knowing why the upload failed and the picture is missing.

The other complication is that there doesn't seem to be any way to set the size limit in the plugin. No matter what I do with the settings for PHP, this 0.5 Mb limit never changes. Is that setting calculated from something, or is it a configuration setting stored somewhere?
Den Team
Den Feb 28 '11
Check max upload photo size in photo plugin settings (Admin Panel->INstalled plugins->Photos)
Also, try to increase execution_time in php.ini from 30 to 90 secs.
Phillip Hagerman
Phillip Hagerman Feb 28 '11
Excellent! Thanks! I hadn't thought about increasing max_execution_time in php.ini. I can now upload the size of photos I want and they show up, and with the increased execution time I don't need to have the increased memory limit for php.
Den Team
Den Mar 1 '11
Nice to hear Philip :)
Michael Leader
Michael Mar 1 '11
Glad you got sorted.
Mike
Mike Sep 7 '11
Not Sure if this is the right area... I am trying to upload a test photo in my admin profile on jeremiah3134.com/new and every time i select photo and hit upload it just asks me to choose file again please help.  joshuarandall@jeremiah3134.com thank you
Den Team
Den Sep 8 '11
Hi
Try to enable DEV_MODE and OW_DEBUG_MODE in ow_includes/config.php and upload photo again. You will receive an actual error message.
The Forum post is edited by Den Sep 8 '11
Crewdog
Crewdog Sep 9 '11
Why is photo upload max allowable .5MB for photos, but only 1MB for email? I would like to set this lower for email as well because users like to email pics and leave them in the mailbox, this creates a lot of storage.

Also, there should be a mailbox quota so that when it gets too full the user needs to clear it out.
Den Team
Den Sep 13 '11
Crewdog
You can control max attachement file size for mailbox via Admin Panel->Installed PLugins->Mailbox
Crewdog
Crewdog Sep 13 '11
Hi Addenster, thank you for the reply.

Sorry--I should have been more specific.  Please see attached screenshot. 

When I try to put in .5 it does not accept the value. Only 1 MB is the lowest it will go.  Other areas of the site allow .5 MB for smallest size.  (Plus in photo plugin you can make photo even smaller MB size when you reduce the allowed pixel size for stored images--a feature that would also be nice for email as well).  Users don't need to send so large attachments back/forth, plus it's a resource/bandwidth hog.  Would actually be nice if Admin could set max allowable size of email box (quota) so that users are forced to clean it out regularly.

The Forum post is edited by Crewdog Sep 13 '11
Attachments:
  MailboxPluginMaxFileSize.JPG (64.52Kb)
Den Team
Den Sep 15 '11
Got it. With some of next update we will fix it. Thanks for report :)
Noah
Noah Jan 12 '12

Guys please help me I'm having major issues trying to upload a avatar or a photo. I get nothing but a x. The file i know i'm uploading is not big at all actually the photo for the avatar is a logo for my site which is only 28kb. There is a "photo" folder under the "ow_userfiles" I have set all the premisson as mentioned above and still get this error of a x. When I select the photo to upload it shows in the little box then I continue to upload and I get a x. I have attacthed a screen shot of the issue. If you need FTP detail please contact me via admin@ywwrn.com I run a non profit internet radio station and I'm trying to reinvent "social radio" the social part of the site can be found @ www.ywwrn.com/social

Kind Regards,

Bob Brown- YWWRN owner/operator.

Michael I.
Michael I. Jan 12 '12
Your site is under maintenance. Can you check if the image files are there in ow_userfiles/plugins/photo directory of your site.
Pages: 1 2 »