We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Account Type and User Role question follow-up | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
David A
David A Feb 22 '13

I was considering using Account Type to help differentiate users… so for instance my site is for a theater  group.  I could have several types… Actors, Stage Crew,  Directors, Choreographers, Music Crew etc.  Having each of these as a different “Account Type” which means that I could have their profile questions geared to their involvement.  This was really attractive.  The issue was that I would still have to assign “User Roles” manually for  each person.  Paul solved that recently with this plugin:

Auto Role on Sign-Up http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/497

However,  I have some questions:

Is it true that once someone has signed up as a specific Account Type, it is not possible to change their Account type to another Account Type?  For instance, if someone signs up as an Actor, and then in a later production is  Stage Crew, you cannot change from one user type to another?  This post seems to suggest that is the case:
http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/7954?page=1#post-39116

Can you always add “Account Types” in the future  without problems?

Can you change “Account Type “  Specific profile questions later on without problems. What happens if someone Joins today and then nex  week, I add additional profile questions?  Will this cause problems?

Unique
Unique Feb 22 '13
I read on roodmap page:
Currently in development
Improve account types' management
but not sure if this related to this topic issue
The Forum post is edited by Unique Feb 22 '13
Unique
Unique Feb 22 '13
But i realy need this function because I want to change my members account type who have given a donation to the specific account type
David A
David A Feb 22 '13
I understand Unique.  So I am correct in my understanding?
Alia Team
Alia Feb 25 '13

>>Is it true that once someone has signed up as a specific Account Type, it is not possible to change their Account type to another Account Type? 

True. There isn't an easy setting in admin panel which would have allowed admin to change the account type.

>>Can you always add “Account Types” in the future  without problems?

Yes, you can add as many account types as you wish.

However, be careful when deleting an account type. Better making a back up if you are planing to delete an account type.

>>Can you change “Account Type “  Specific profile questions later on without problems.

What do you mean by "change"? Just edit the wording?

>>What happens if someone Joins today and then nex  week, I add additional profile questions?  

Users who joined earlier, will see the new field when they go to "edit profile page".

David A
David A Feb 25 '13

See q within:

>>True. There isn't an easy setting in admin panel which would have allowed admin to change the account type. 

Is there a way of setting it so that the Profile Questions displayed to user change based on what "User role"  you set them as?

>>>Yes, you can add as many account types as you wish.

However, be careful when deleting an account type. Better making a back up if you are planing to delete an account type. 

I see

>>What do you mean by "change"? Just edit the wording?

If I had an Actor User Type and had been asking certain questions, and I wanted to delete some of those questions, reorder and add additional questions... would it mess up the oxwall database?

>>What happens if someone Joins today and then nex  week, I add additional profile questions?  

Users who joined earlier, will see the new field when they go to "edit profile page".

Exellent
Alia Team
Alia Mar 1 '13
>>Is there a way of setting it so that the Profile Questions displayed to user change based on what "User role"  you set them as?

Requires complex custom code modifications.

>>If I had an Actor User Type and had been asking certain questions, and I wanted to delete some of those questions, reorder and add additional questions... would it mess up the oxwall database?

When you delete the question>>add new one>>reorder database will be fine.

Tester
Tester Mar 1 '13
Maybe a stupid suggestion.

An intro can specify avaiable categories atop.
Some general questions follow, and then specific questions to each catergory.

General
The usual (REQUIRED)

FOR ACTORS ONLY
Question One.
Question two

FOR SINGERS ONLY
Question One.
Question two

and so on ....

In the event of a category change, the person can edit his/her profile to delete old entries and answer the questions relevant to the new role.

One catch, though. REQUIRED (other than login, paassword, real-name). This can't be applied, naturally, to category-based questions. You can only ask the members to fill all the fields relevant to their role. This is not as laughable as it sounds. When I used fConnect for a while at my site, many automatically became members, without several required fields in their profile remain unfilled, and I had to ask them to fill them (they were not even aware of them).

P.S. For roles you can use Single choice (dropdown) -- required
The Forum post is edited by Tester Mar 1 '13
David A
David A Mar 3 '13
Tester,
That is exactly what I am thinking. I can always add another account later.. I think I will try to have each set of questions on a different tab.   I can always add tabs later...

No I just need to figure out how I want people to join the site, should I bulk import or should I invite them by email, or should I just send them the url.

David

Tester
Tester Mar 3 '13

Quote from David A I think I will try to have each set of questions on a different tab.

You can you use the SECTION option.
David A
David A Mar 3 '13
Exactly.   I have also chosen to have an open ended question

"Describe how you are involved with theater community?"

or something similar.
Bhavika Rugnath
Bhavika Rugnath Jun 7 '14
Hello, i was trying to delete an account type but i receive the message: You can't delete an account type while it still has exclusive profile quesitons. 

But the only fields pointing to that accounts are the required ones like: email, username, password and join date.

How can i delete them?

ross Team
ross Jun 8 '14
Bhavika, please provide a screenshot of this page: www.domain.com//admin/questions/edit-account-type/
ross Team
ross Jun 10 '14
Here you go. It is clearly said that you have exclusive questions for each account type. 

Please show profile questions for a certain account type, delete the exclusive questions you have for this account type. Then you'll be able to delete the account type.