We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Buying a tractor. Seeking experienced opinions. | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
idayrare corded
idayrare corded Dec 20 '23
So, now that I've closed on the purchase, I feel like I can spend a moment to brag a little bit. Just bought a new house.

In all, it's approximately 5600 square feet on 40 acres about 30 minutes from downtown. Apparently I only paid about 20% more than what a 1600 square foot home on a postage stamp lot costs in vicinity of Chicago.

The previous owner was working to sell their tractor to us, a 2002 Kubota L4310, but then received a much better offer from another party.

The goals of said tractor:
To provide for any animal activity on the property (we'll be stabling at least one horse for at least the next 9 months, and the wife wants a damn petting zoo) - likely bush hogging some part of the pastured area if my wife lets me skip out on the finish mowing activity
To keep the driveway free of snow in the winter (driveway is 1/2 mile long, and fully concrete)
To perform trail repair (about 10 years ago, a timber company came in and tore the f*ck out of the woods, left trail ruts, and now it seems like the whole woods doesn't drain. I have an intermittent creek within the west boundary and a small year-round creek within the east boundary. I'd like to maintain some of the old logging trails as they provide for easier access to the property and they canalize the target whitetail deer population to defined intersections overwatched by tree stands, the maintained trails just need to promote natural drainage of the property instead of preventing it as they do now.
To perform trail maintenance (bush hog)
To perform home gardening activities (probably rent a tiller to prepare a garden bed, and will probably put high fence around it to keep the deer out of the sweet corn)
​​​​​​To perform forest management / maintenance / rehabilitation (There's a tremendous amount of standing dead wood and relatively young fallen dead wood on the property which I believe was caused largely by stress from unsupervised and careless timber cutting activity and lack of effective drainage).The state of the timber on the property really is a damned shame, there are a few areas where you can stand and count a dozen trees that are all 12-15" in diameter, but 20-30 feet up the trunks simply end with a sharp point towards the sky, and there's fallen deadwood everywhere - not like some trees have slowly died over the years, but rather there are 12-15" diameter trees lying as massive die-offs that look like they have fallen in the past 6-12 months. The previous owners have a freshly renewed "forestry plan" done for them by the for-profit company that fucked up the land in the first place, which I'll certainly consider; but I'll be having a service forester come out to the property to advise me on what I can do. I don't yet know enough about trees to gather if it's a certain species or group that has died off, so I can't rule out that perhaps these were all ash trees, but it's just such a huge volume of dead wood

Anyways, back to the tractor part of the discussion; we are considering a few options. Among my desires are that I'd like to have something that's about 45hp, loader is a requirement, as well as the ability to clear snow, and a rotary cutter. I'd prefer to clear snow with a skid-steer quick attach snow blade, though I understand the possibility to clear snow with a much simpler and cheaper 3-point blade. I've wanted for years to own a tractor with a cab on it, though I have no real world experience on cab vs. no cab. Lastly, the tractor has to be "wife friendly", so I'd prefer to stay away from the classic geared options.

The first option that we are considering is a used Kubota L4701 HST with loader, 3 years old and 300 hours, so basically a new tractor with some depreciation factored in. A small local dealer wants $23k for it. Maybe it's a good deal, perhaps it's not. It seems like the "appropriate" amount of tractor at an okay price. I also know that If I want more in the next couple years that I can probably sell the tractor and get most of my money back out of it to put towards an upgrade.

We had also been considering buying new. The Kubotas seem to be priced "just okay", looked at the new hollands because the wife liked a blue tractor she saw and I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after seeing the pricing of the boomer series - Case is the same, though I'd always pictured myself in a Case Farmall compact. CNH (Case New Holland) puts us about about 45k for a barebones open station tractor with loader.

Enter the "little guy": We stopped at a Rural King store while we were checking out the nearby areas and saw they had tractors in their lot. After doing some research they are reviewed about as well as all of the other brands, but are "obscenely well priced" and they're "fully optioned out" as standard: I'm looking at the 55HP tractor with hydrostatic transmission, operator cab, and front end loader for $30k + tax brand new. I'm a big fan of the idea of a heated cab while plowing snow in the winter, and air conditioning while doing summer tasks. I'm also aware that the cab has the potential to become a hindrance in the woods, though I intend for my trees to all be straight and tall. If we purchased this tractor, we would likely incur a substantial depreciation based on the fact that "RK Tractors" isn't an established brand name, and if we ever wanted to sell and buy a different tractor, we'd probably be eating $5k right off the bat if the tractor were still in good shape, though on the flipside, I can't see that we'd ever intend to "upgrade" beyond this tractor. Note, all of the other options above are cab-less. Also, the Rural King tractors seem to have the best warranty.

I'd especially like opinions on the "used Kubota vs. new Kubota vs. new Rural King" and I'd like to weigh the risk of the Rural King tractors as a young and developing brand while avoiding the argument that "they will break and you'll be completely without a tractor if Rural King stops selling and servicing them" (The manufacturer, TYM, is well established and produces their own tractors - which are literally the same tractors as rural king has sitting on the lot with a different color and different stickers.)

I'd like to avoid any discussion of green tractors. They use proprietary components and they are the single reason that congress had to pass a law specifically legalizing hacking DRM protections to repair **** that you supposedly own.
Rajesh Rajpo
Rajesh Rajpo Dec 21 '23
Congratulations on your new house! It looks very beautiful! That's a big milestone and having a piece of land to call your own is fantastic.
Jeremy Blake
Jeremy Blake Dec 21 '23
It looks like you have quite a bit of space to manage, and that's where a tractor can really come in handy.
When it comes to buying a tractor, it's essential to consider your specific needs and the tasks you'll be using it for. Factors like the size of your property, the terrain, and the kind of work you'll be doing all play a role in choosing the right tractor for you. Experienced opinions and advice from those who've been through the process can be incredibly valuable.
If you're still on the lookout for machinery or equipment to help you manage your property efficiently, I recently found machinerydealer.co.uk. They offer a variety of new and used plant machinery sales, which might be useful for your land maintenance needs.
James Walter
James Walter Jan 1
we offer a wide range of truck repair and maintenance services to hard-working truckers in the capital. Glendale Mobile Truck Repair
kalvindarwan
kalvindarwan Jan 3
With our comprehensive services, you can have confidence that your vehicle will operate safely and smoothly on the road. Santa Ana Mobile Mechanic
lilycollins
lilycollins Jan 11
The tractor, combined with additional equipment and professional advice, should set you on the right path for managing and enhancing slope your 40-acre property. Remember to prioritize safety when using the equipment and, if necessary, consider additional attachments that may complement the tractor's capabilities for specific tasks. 
bilalsonija
bilalsonija Jan 22
I definitely wanted to compose a quick message to be able to appreciate you for those amazing advice you are giving out on this website. My time intensive internet investigation has finally been honored with good quality facts and strategies to go over with my great friends. I would state that that most of us site visitors actually are quite fortunate to be in a notable website with so many outstanding people with insightful strategies. I feel really privileged to have discovered your entire web page and look forward to plenty of more amazing times reading here. Thanks again for everything. Packers and Movers Nagpur
bilalsonija
bilalsonija Jan 24
hey there and thank you for your information – I have definitely picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise several technical issues using this website, since I experienced to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and can damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for a lot more of your respective exciting content. Ensure that you update this again very soon.. Packers and Movers Faridabad to Hamirpur
Ãbdûl Qādïr Seø
Spot up for this write-up, I truly feel this amazing site requirements far more consideration. I’ll apt to be again to study much more, thank you that information. roof cleaning southampton
Ãbdûl Qādïr Seø
Good day, I merely hopped over on your own website through StumbleUpon. Not something I’d usually read, however I appreciated how you feel none the less. Thanks for making something price reading. https://daga1.tv
bilalsonija
bilalsonija Jan 29
on your|somebody who actually|the most effective|it is best to|simply would like to|actually answered my problem|There are some interesting Packers and Movers Visakhapatnam
bilalsonija
bilalsonija Jan 30
I discovered your blog internet site online and appearance several of your early posts. Always keep inside the really good operate. I simply additional your Rss to my MSN News Reader. Looking for forward to reading more from you finding out at a later date!… Packers and Movers Chennai to Coimbatore
Ãbdûl Qādïr Seø
This is often mutually an incredible articles and other content i just particularly in fact cherished looking. That isn't always that i contain future to edit a major problem. mattress cleaning newcastle
Ãbdûl Qādïr Seø
Considerably, the article is in reality the greatest on that noteworthy topic. I agree with your conclusions and can eagerly look forward to your next updates. Saying thanks will not simply just be enough, for the excellent clarity in your writing. I definitely will promptly grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Pleasant work and also much success in your business dealings! driveway cleaning surrey
bilalsonija
bilalsonija Feb 1
Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is fantastic, let alone the content! driveway cleaning grimsby
REHMAN
REHMAN Feb 2
Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything in this way before. So nice to find somebody with many original thoughts on this subject. realy i appreciate you for starting this up. this fabulous website is one area that is needed on the internet, an individual if we do originality. beneficial purpose of bringing something new for the net! patio cleaning dundee
Ãbdûl Qādïr Seø
An intriguing discussion might be priced at comment. I do believe you should write on this topic, it might certainly be a taboo subject but usually individuals are too little to speak on such topics. Yet another. Cheers Packers and Movers Kolkata to Chandigarh
REHMAN
REHMAN Feb 6
I conceive other website proprietors should take this web site as an example , very clean and wonderful user pleasant pattern . Miso88
REHMAN
REHMAN Mar 14
Aw, i thought this was an extremely good post. In notion I must invest writing like that moreover – taking time and actual effort to have a excellent article… but what things can I say… I procrastinate alot through no means find a way to get something done. https://betvisa.ac/