We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

OXWALL File Count | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
David A
David A Feb 25 '13
I am using a hosting provider where I have a 200,000 file count limit. How many files is a oxwall installation?  How many files do a user typically add?  I could see this number going up quickly... with posts and other activities on the site.   Can people tell me their experiences?

David A
David A Feb 25 '13
FYI: Just looked and it seems that a installation with 5 test users = 3,500 files.
Unique
Unique Feb 25 '13
What do you mean by limited file of your host? is the total file? or just count limit per download?
David A
David A Feb 25 '13
  • Unlimited Space & Bandwidth  so long as your server file count is less than 200,000 files
Alia Team
Alia Feb 25 '13
I believe that this includes  ALL website files, multimedia files, e-mail files, backup files, and anything else that may be stored on one's hosting account.

David, I have my own Oxwall installation with about 10 users, each one having a blog, avatar and around 2-5 photos. Takes 9984 files.

David A
David A Feb 25 '13
Aliia,
Correct ALL WEBSITE FILES>

I am new, and know much of what is done in OXWALL is database driven/stored.  I assume,  that it is not like ever time someone posts to the Oxwall website or sends a message to another user,  a new file will be added in the "web files" category. 
Alia Team
Alia Feb 25 '13
David, I beleive that "files" is
- files that come within the Oxwall Installation pack.
- if user uploads something ( attachment, photo)
- if you make a back up.

>>posts to the website ( like forum posts, blog posts...) + messages that are sent

Those should not be counted as files.

Basically anything that creates a physical "file" on your server is considered as a "file".
Messages and posts are saved within database tables, so those are not "files".

David A
David A Feb 25 '13
That was my understanding as well. 
David A
David A Feb 25 '13
Thank you... for confirming it.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
to sum up all,

The files that comes up with oxwall install ( in zip format) are the files and along with the files like attachments and images that user post in blogs, groups, forums and avatars.

Private messages and blogs does not count as files, as they are stored in database?

Does your host has limit to database too?
David A
David A Feb 26 '13
My main concern was the messages sent back and forth between users.  I know that messages can quickly add up and assumed they were in the database and not counted.    However, I believe each individual email on my server counts... so that was what made me think to ask.   I have unlimited space, jut not unlimited files.

I will have to check and see if my server limits the database.   What kind of database is it?
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Feb 26 '13
SQL
Alia Team
Alia Feb 28 '13
David, I think that it is worth checking with your hosting company. What exactly they count as "files". Just to make sure that our understanding is correct.
David A
David A Mar 1 '13
Will do...