We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How can an user find a list of things she have liked? | Forum

risha
risha Feb 25 '13
How can an user  find a list of things she have liked?
cit27
cit27 Feb 25 '13
The same answer: Custom Modification....
or wait our friend @Bobby to find the great solution (or if he/she/they want to share his/her/their custom mod)
The Forum post is edited by cit27 Feb 25 '13
risha
risha Feb 25 '13
How to do the custom mod?
Bobby
Bobby Feb 25 '13
This is currently beyond my abilities. Perhaps someday.
cit27 is correct: Custom Modification

I have looked at the database and there is no table for "likes."
This means a developer would have to create a plugin. The plugin would create a database table for "likes." And it would have some new code/script: "get userID if user is authenticated else give login (I'm just making this up) else if user clicks 'show_user_likes' go to <a href="user_likes.html>My Likes</a>

Something like that. Just example.
We could put this code/script on an existing page and NOT use a PLUGIN. But what code/script and what page: I do not know. I am not advanced enough :)
risha
risha Feb 25 '13
Hi Bobby the table is there : ow_newsfeed_like
risha
risha Feb 25 '13
SELECT * FROM `ow_newsfeed_like` WHERE userId = current user Id
SELECT * FROM `ow_newsfeed_like` WHERE userId -= user Id of profile being viewed

Buddypress provides a list of likes or favorits by the  user in 2 ways
your own list
list of profile being viewed

But they do not show Like Count on each post or photo.
This is maddening, as if in a collusion this script provides this and that script provides that, and fb laughs all the way - ha ha ha
Bobby
Bobby Feb 25 '13
Oh yes! risha is correct! I see this now.
We have the userid and the entityid and entityType, etc. Everything we need :)

But we still have to learn how to: write code which will get userid and userid's activity likes, fetch data and return results.

If we could write a line of code like this and associate it to a link, we could link it to a custom page we created. Sounds simple. But it is still advanced for me. But I think we will learn how to do this if we keep trying.
Bobby
Bobby Feb 25 '13
lol risha
Quote from risha
This is maddening, as if in a collusion this script provides this and that script provides that, and fb laughs all the way - ha ha ha

cit27
cit27 Feb 25 '13
just follow laughs: ha ha ha
Bobby
Bobby Feb 25 '13
This could be exciting to try. But today my 7 year-old daughter is home from school. We are playing. In 24 hours I can start to think about this. If anyone else thinks of a method, or has any input or advice or hints, post here. If we can do this, we can do more and more and more.

Right now all I can think is: we need the proper line of code (userid gets entityid and entityTypes of userid likes.
Then we can make a link to it.
But not today :)
Bobby
Bobby Feb 25 '13
I don't know what I'm doing.
I keep thinking we can use our own php to pull from database and create a link to it. But we can't do that in oxwall. They might let us in the future. I think I read something.
But no. This needs a whole new plugin in oxwall. You have to make all those files and directories....

What about the dashboard page? I don't use Dashboard. But the Dashboard gives you all your own comments and likes and links and photos, blogs, events.
What if we copied Dashboard. Copied everything about it. Strip it down to "likes" only. And rename it "Likes" instead of "Dashboard" as in likes.php
You click on likes link instead of dashboard link and you are taken to....
No....

risha... can't you just use Dashboard for this?
Dashboard shows you all your likes and comments.
risha
risha Feb 25 '13
Hi Bobby - first of all thanks. We are human being after all and it was so nice to hear about your daughter.

Devs are human too and they have their priorities and own logic process. However guessing user behavior and user expectancy is tricky and this is where FB ( apart from their secret dirty marketing and money power ) succeeded. ( like hypewrmarking photo, allowing other sites to use FB like etc)

Usually what happens ( and this is already by default in BUddypress and Drupal ) user / friend A will like to see user / friend B's "Likes" - so just seeing my own likes in my own dashboard is not sufficient ...........
Bobby
Bobby Feb 25 '13
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you want person A to see person B's likes. Oh. That's even harder than I thought. I have to learn how to make plugins here.

Here's a funny story because I see you hate facebook. I hate facebook so much. Marketing. Ads. Privacy. Garbage on top of garbage. I hate facebook. So I made up a fake name. Bobby. I wanted to just be friends with my mom and dad on facebook. But still facebook was garbage. Then I found oxwall and a button to sign in with Fconnect. I clicked it and I wrote something here and now I am Bobby. Ha!
Bobby is now my oxwall alias and it is all facebook's fault. ha ha ha ha ha. I hate facebook.
risha
risha Feb 25 '13
Actually no I do not hate - I just hate the monopoly they hold and how so many sites have become "slave" to FB ( example - even this oxwall org has FB log in but no G plus or twitter log in)

If just ten other social net thrived equally I would be happy, but getting forced to see or use FB comments buttons etc when I am visiting a non FB site is atrocious. Many business are now using FB only internet address which actually kills the concept of internet .......

Okay ... this should not get off topic. So yes that is difficult - so I wanted to post a job but  irritattingly that needs  yet another registration and log in - the oxwall site is spread across 4 sites - itself, wordpress blog, uservoice site to post ur ideas, and odesk to post jobs :(

risha
risha Feb 25 '13
Well Bobby what am I missing in my own dashboard? I do not see a list of my Likes or any link to a list of my Likes ....

Its just

Welcome to our site! Here are a few quick links that you need to start your way around:

Feel free to participate in our community!

Quick Links My Friends
1 My Blog
2 My Groups
1 My Photo Albums

I do have liked several blogs photos etc but no link or block appear. Can you post a screenshot when you have time
Bobby
Bobby Feb 25 '13
Oh I just mean: Dashboard shows you ONLY your newsfeed comments and comments you've liked. It doesn't give a link or a list of likes. It shows you the newsfeed items you have liked. Dashboard is like your personal newsfeed. That's all I meant. It is not exactly what you need.
cit27
cit27 Feb 25 '13
I think
several reasons
why this feature was not added to include the issue will increase the use of your database...
so they let this be handled by the plugin dev that the user can decide to use or not
The Forum post is edited by cit27 Feb 25 '13
risha
risha Feb 26 '13

That will actually decrease the use of datbase ...

I hope someday you can come up with real solutions or good suggestions rather than wild guesses :)

SL
SL Feb 26 '13
if the "like" feature using the database, then this course will enhance the database (can not be used by a small/shared hosting: considering this feature very often used by each user)  unless it can be overcome with the automatic deletion within a certain time or a certain amount....
the best solution is to use the plugin
The Forum post is edited by SL Feb 26 '13
Bobby
Bobby Feb 26 '13
@ Raden - this means - if a "likes" plugin is created (to view my likes and/or likes of a any friend in my friends list) the plugin should call only ... Let's say, 20 to 50 results per page?
Or... "Today's Likes" or "This Weeks Likes"
This method would be - not too much work for database?
I'm asking so I have better understanding.
Pages: 1 2 »