We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Help Required | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
david jefferson
david jefferson Mar 1 '13
Hiya All

Ok to start with Im Dave and I have an idea that has been set back now several times due to website companies not providing what they said they could do for example easy-scripts. DONT EVER USE THEM.

Ok lets start, I want to create a memorial version of facebook but encorporating various things. This is where I need your help. If I say what I think I want in my head can you guys and girls tell me the best way of doing it. 

Admin if this is in the wrong area im very very sorry.

Ok,

1. On the homepage it would have newly registered members - memorial that had been created that day - memorial anniversaries. Possibly a rolling wall of what help topics have been posted on the forum. 

2. Members can create numerous loved one walls which all would have there own url - family and friends would have to subscribe to each wall to create messages.

Owners of the page are responsible for editing the page. And I would have the ability to edit too.

3. On each wall it would have the main picture of the loved one what has passed, description, pictures, videos, obituaries etc. BUT on the right hand side of the wall it would have a rotating picture script showing pictures and memorial messages which would stop when the mouse is hovered over them.

4. Want a facility where they can purchase gifts and they would be on there messages, I want the facility where i can upload them.

5. I currently have my own forum and directory of useful topics and links which I would like to incorporate.

Any ideas welcome

Pete
Pete Mar 1 '13
I can provide you with some webhosting,if your host is rubbish, 10,000 mb of web space and 50,000 mb of bandwidth 2.99 per month first month free .if your intrested send me a pm and i will give you the link to demo website ,i can put you on linux or windows .
The Forum post is edited by Pete Mar 1 '13
david jefferson
Thanks Pete host is fine, its just getting whats in my head onto a website. I had two people say they new what I wanted, one im claiming the money back via paypal the other just didn't do anything. So im gunna try here and see if i can create what i want, landing page, memorial page of there bereaved one, but more importantly the facility where they can have more than one wall. Then the facility where they can share that link with family and friends. scrolling picture script with tagged messages from there loved ones.

get the idea

Pete
Pete Mar 1 '13

Best to make your landing page useing html ,and run your oxwall in a sub domain ,there is a mod in the shop to add family and friends .

david jefferson
thanks pete before I attempt doing landing pages etc I need to know if members can have multiple walls or something similar where they have individual urls or something like, so they can send that link to friends and family. Also the scrolling picture thing. 

Could do with a member of admin to pop by and see what im after is possible with this social networking system. 

Pete
Pete Mar 1 '13
To have multtiple walls in Oxwall you would have to get some one to build you a mod.I know what you mean ,something like there own pages ,were thy can have a link to the page on the internet.I think you might be wise to head for hotscripts .com and see if you can find anything sutable and run it along side oxwall 
david jefferson
hotscripts refered me to easy-scripts memorial site and that was my base platform, unfortunately script was corrupt, no response from the seller either via email the script came from, contact us section on site and paypal cant get hold of them. Will check hotscripts again 
Pete
Pete Mar 1 '13

do a search on google for free memorial scripts,you might get lucky.Before you buy anyscript run a search on google for feedback about the script .I do not understand how some people have the nearv to sell scripts and rip people off.These people have no morals

The Forum post is edited by Pete Mar 1 '13
david jefferson
yep i agree, the thing that gets me is they wont respond. It was developed by someone on digitalpoint and lots of people bought it then he sold site and thats when problem started. Even offered to buy it from one of the hosted sites - but still no joy.
Pete
Pete Mar 1 '13
The link i posted lookes just the job for what you need ,its only $39
david jefferson
saw that one but needs lots of development. it seemed like the script I purchased kinda jumped alot of the stuff I would of needed to do but I think that my have to be the base platform.
Pete
Pete Mar 1 '13
I have done a search on google and most links seem to point to the link that i posted,there does not seem to be many memorial scripts around ,
david jefferson
will check it out more and see what its got to offer. cheers for your help pete.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
All your requirements that you mentioned above can be done with custom code modifications.
david jefferson
david jefferson Mar 2 '13
well ive downloaded the script and lets just say the problems ave already started, the script doesn't like my host setup, but got that sorted just need to sort the look of it and various other aspects and then its the case of matching everything together. 
david jefferson
david jefferson Mar 5 '13
well the funeral script is very basic so need to add on various aspects, rolling picture script and gifts procedure and paypal and a few tweeks here and there. Not sure how im gunna do it all yet.

not sure if oxwall would be a good base platform and then change certain tabs to then incorporate say the directory or forum. 

I suppose im allowed to do this as long as i dont take the brandings off.

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Yes.. you are free to do anything that you would like.
david jefferson
david jefferson Mar 5 '13
Ok this is gunna be a long thread but need some help, I wanna get use to scripting and changing the codes so gunna stat with the basics. I want my existing forum and directory placing in the tabs I've changed. 

I want to incorporate my php forum into the forum section which file do I copy my php files into on oxwall script. Second have added a page for my directory can anyone give me some pointers into which folder I should copy my files for my directory too.

Curious I saw on the demo of oxwall a rolling picture script left to right on the homepage anyone know what that addon was called cos I want it, I presume I can change the pictures. 

Cos decided I want to make Oxwall as my glorified homepage.

Also If I make Oxwalls splash page as entry point how do i EDIT it so I can put pictures on it and add text etc.

Sorry if being a pest, but once i've sorted my site I will add a section to my directory of people who have helped my site and give you a free link but please be aware that anything of a adult nature will not get a link.

Alia Team
Alia Mar 5 '13
>>I want to incorporate my php forum into the forum section which file do I copy my php files into on oxwall script.

Sounds like a complex custom code modification.
Basically Oxwall's "Forum" comes as a plugin: http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/19
After the plugin is installed plugin's source code gets unpacked under ow_plugins/pluginnamehere/.
Depending on how you are going to integrate your forum, you will need to edit one of the files within following folder under /ow_plugins/forum:

If you have specific question regarding this modification, you will need to post in "Custom Code Modifications" section of our forum.

>>Second have added a page for my directory can anyone give me some pointers into which folder I should copy my files for my directory too.

Not sure what you mean here.

>>Curious I saw on the demo of oxwall a rolling picture script left to right on the homepage anyone know what that addon was called cos I want it, I presume I can change the pictures.

It is called "Image Slideshow" ( http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/416).

>>Also If I make Oxwalls splash page as entry point how do i EDIT it so I can put pictures on it and add text etc.

You can add your own html  to this page here : yoursitename.com/admin/pages/splash-screen

>>Sorry if being a pest, but once i've sorted my site I will add a section to my directory of people who have helped my site and give you a free link but please be aware that anything of a adult nature will not get a link.

Thanks for choosing Oxwall. Wish you good luck! Hopefully you will implement all of you ideas just the way you wanted! )))

Pages: 1 2 »