We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

bugs vs bad installs | Forum

Michael Leader
Michael Aug 23 '10
I am wondering how many "errors" are related to bugs in software instead of errors in hosts/settings/files etc.

I know I have a good few what I thought were errors but turned out to be host settings.

I am only mentioning because I feel the software is stable, I have had little or no issues installing it on a host but on my local it is tricky so I know it is my settings that are the problem.

The main question is why do developers choose to use certain methods for site code where others done.

eg: I have had joomla, e107, wordpress and a few others working on my local box but ox is the first to give me some trouble.

So either ox is complicated, I am incompetent, or something else.

I still like OXWALL. It is the nicest/closest thing to ning out there that has been a breeeze to work with. I am glad I installed it and my users love it!
Den Team
Den Aug 23 '10
We are trying to make Oxwall as stable as possible. Specially for that, we were testing oxwall for a few month on Wall.fm. And we have to fix all major issues in current features.
Usually, most hosting companies have identical settings. So, in this case oxwall installation is successful. But on local machines, as you pointed, settings may vary from PC to PC. So, we just need to collect the list of settings on different user's machines that caused errors during installation, and adapt the installation code to these settings.
It's impossible to copy installation from other CMS, because code structure is a little different :)
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 24 '10
I was just wondering... I do understand that oxwall is the second social networking site I tried to load, wordpress/buddypress was my first. I just wonder why developers use different techniques for installs and why others all just installed but oxwall is a bit lumpy!

I KNOW it is my local server that is the problem. There is a need for more unofficial geeks to be involved. OXWALL is busy writing code, they cant be expected to assist with everyone's install just cos they have a little bit missing/ I know you are in beta right now and want to be helpful.

Get oxwall out there! get it noticed.
(Send me $200k and I will advertise it as a tattoo on my back and setup a nice launch bbq!)
Emil Team
Emil Aug 24 '10
Finally, some real start! Our first marketing program will be that tattoo on your back.
Kelvin William
Kelvin William Feb 3 '11
interesting (with the back strategy lol), there are some great plug-ins on this site that I am having a go at. will post results on the appropriate forum when am done!
Arc Maize
Arc Maize Feb 3 '11
I managed to install on my local computer, but also had some trouble. (: In my case, it was me not setting up things right. (I'm completely new to this sort of thing, so I don't feel bad, har.) We do need more unofficial geeks though. We shall become them, onward and upward!

Hmm, I would pay to see a back tattoo ad, I think, no matter the product.
Emil Team
Emil Feb 4 '11
Spread the word if you feel like giving something back! That's the only thing we ask in return for our hard work. Or at least arrange $200K for Michael.
g00d
g00d Feb 8 '11
In time I can give you a dutch language file and maybe some themes :-) that's my contribution.
Michael Leader
Michael Apr 4 '11
g00d, any contribution is good.
Jv
Jv Apr 13 '11
In my own experience, installation problems are generally the easier task between the two. Most problems will arise when trying to run the software for the first time. That is an essential step before making your application run. Each component must be tested before being able to fully run. On the other hand, bugs are harder to find but a big community will probably get through them in no time.