We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Drivers license expired!! | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
John
John Feb 7
I'm "tall in the tooth" and stopped driving about a year ago. Why, because I've been forced to use a "walker". Dragging it out of the house, collapsing it, putting it in the trunk, etc is just oo much agony. So I now get my groceries delivered, anything else I get from amazon or Walmart delivered. So my beuatiful '97 CL600 sits in the garage staring at a wall of rakes and brooms!
The problem is this: I want to keep the car up to regs which means I have to have a smog check, register it (Aug) and get the insurance up to date.
The problem is with the insurance requirement. No one will insure the car without me having a current DL. While I can hobble down to the DMV, I would prefer to get the car insured and keep it on a trickle charger. So far, I have been turned down by the insurance guys, including Hagerty, etc. I have been driving for 75 years all over the USA, British Co9lumbia and Alaska. Lived in Italy for 2 years, learned to love the 120MPH+ on the autostrade, been all over Italy France, Spain, Greece and a little of Turkey. NEVER had an accident, had only one claim in 75 years and the last ticket was about 30 years ago.
Jeremy Blake
Jeremy Blake Feb 7
If you're (or anyone else) not going to drive the car, you can have the vehicle registered as PNO (Planned Non-operation) in California. No smog checks until you reregister it for road use. If you need to move/tow it on a public road, you can get a one day moving permit.

As far as insurance, you would only need comprehensive coverage if it is stored. Your current insurance company should be able to do it. You can contact an Insurance Broker and I'm sure they can find coverage for you.

If you want to have the car registered and insured for road use, that will be very difficult or impossible without a licensed principle driver listed on the policy.
Olli Stor
Olli Stor Feb 7
It's a bummer when life throws those unexpected twists.
You've got quite the driving experience under your belt, and it's a shame that insurance companies are giving you a hard time. Maybe consider reaching out to some local or independent insurance agents? They often have a bit more flexibility and might be able to find a solution for you, even without a current DL.
Also, make sure to check if your state has any specific insurance options for situations like yours. Sometimes, there are specialized programs that cater to unique circumstances. For instance, you can check out with your local DMV for some info.
In the meantime, enjoy having your beautiful CL600 as a garage companion.
The Forum post is edited by Olli Stor Feb 7