We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

new idea to stop spammers | Forum

Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Mar 10 '13
I have notice a very simple method of blocking avatar's used by spamming agents and manual spammers.

Lets look at this manual spammers avatar

Each image has its source code I have attached the avatars image source code

It can be used as a defense against this spammer as the spammer uses the avatar time and again. If this code is blocked and because of the block the spammer can not register. This type of spam blocking would be a great thorn in the side of not only manual spammers but spamming agents.   

As I have promised people here I would come up with new spam blocking ideas this is one of the best ones so far. I am rather hoping that a plugin developer will take this on as a project. Or even the Oxwall software engineers.  

The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Mar 10 '13
Attachments:
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Mar 10 '13
Here is our default avatar spam agent.

The source code is attached

The Forum post is edited by Bob (Coder Whacker) Mar 10 '13
Attachments:
kevinL
kevinL Mar 12 '13
this avatar is register every where.

Bod thanks for your idea how to stop spam register like add 2 or 3 more question.  this works for now, but how about in the futures?  is it possible to divide the Join page in to 2 step register? 

Thanks.
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Mar 12 '13
Every thing is possible within the limits of programming codes Kevin, how would you perceive this two stage register idea?   
kevinL
kevinL Mar 12 '13
 Well first of all I would divide the Joinform into two part of the registration: 

First stage
-Login with Facebook / Google acc.
-Just the basic info

2nd stage:
-user photo
-Quest
-Terms of use
-Captcha

and then (Join)

kevinL
kevinL Mar 12 '13
One more idea for the Question section: 

Oxwall should give the admin the opportunity to create about 50 random questions that are assign to the JoinForm page.  

For example, If I create 50 question to add onto the JoinForm, Each participant in the registration will get one question out of the 50. But each time the page is loaded, Different questions out of the 50 have to be shown automatically. The number of question can be lowered it was just an example.

Thanks.

Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Mar 12 '13

Quote from kevin lee  Well first of all I would divide the Joinform into two part of the registration: 

First stage
-Login with Facebook / Google acc.
-Just the basic info

2nd stage:
-user photo
-Quest
-Terms of use
-Captcha

and then (Join)

A very good idea

Quote from kevin lee One more idea for the Question section: 

Oxwall should give the admin the opportunity to create about 50 random questions that are assign to the JoinForm page.  

For example, If I create 50 question to add onto the JoinForm, Each participant in the registration will get one question out of the 50. But each time the page is loaded, Different questions out of the 50 have to be shown automatically. The number of question can be lowered it was just an example.

Thanks.

Could be an option added to my request http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/9429

Joseph Simon
Joseph Simon Apr 4 '13
I wish there was a plugin to sent messages to the users mobile phone when they sign up and when they enter the code they received onto the site one sms price should be reverted back to our bank account.Spammers wont pay to join in,and the site admin will also earn a small amount for a coffee.I saw ELGG have this plugin in their store.
The Forum post is edited by Joseph Simon Apr 4 '13
Pete
Pete Apr 6 '13
Te best why to stop these is to report them to the affiliate website that these people or affiliated to ,just look a the source code in the link and get there affiliate code
Pete
Pete Apr 6 '13
No matter what you add,these people that or doing these bots find some way around them
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Not in my experience they don't and CodeWhacker remains free of spam for over six months now. I am however looking at some better methods than the two successful methods I use now to keep my site free of the scumbags. 
Pete
Pete Apr 6 '13

Quote from Bob (Coder Whacker)
Not in my experience they don't and CodeWhacker remains free of spam for over six months now. I am however looking at some better methods than the two successful methods I use now to keep my site free of the scumbags. 

Maybe you should make a mod to stop these shitheads from doing this
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Why I can handle the site on my own. I have stopped the spammers ever publishing any muck on my site. Many others are using the simple methods involved as well, it works. The only thing is the manual spammers can register, but are held in a green house account with no means of publishing anything. I vet them and its actually very easy to spot them, I then just delete their accounts. I have only about two or three per month. One other site I mod has high traffic and activity. Same applies takes the site owner about 5 or 10 minutes a day to vet new registrations.

What I am trying to do is supply ideas to stop this scum at the registration stage. The robot bots and we have only one at present that bugs all wall and oxwall sites is easy to stop. With not much fuss with no need of IP blocking what so ever. Just 2 or 3 required question messes up the spammers registration template. If the questions are different on each Oxwall or wall site the bots creator/s have a big head ache to surmount. But of course other methods to block them should be welcomed.