We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Family Membership [Open Discussion] | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
james letts
james letts Mar 16 '13
Hi all,

Really impressed with Oxwall so far.

Looking to create a family membership site for individual families to login to and hold all the family info etc......

Any ideas..

Regards

James

The Forum post is edited by Alia Mar 22 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam
You can customize friends plugin to act as a family member.. Pricay should be set within family by default.
james letts
james letts Mar 17 '13
Could you please point me to the friends plugin suggested 
Alia Team
Alia Mar 18 '13
James, search by "friends" and "family" keywords here: http://www.oxwall.org/store
You will see several plugins that might work for you.
james letts
james letts Mar 18 '13
I think what I meant to say was I am creating a site that lots of different families can join and just privately share things as a family group of members per family.

james letts
james letts Mar 19 '13
How about if I set all new sign up users to default content to be only viewed by friends.
The new member signs up then adds family members to his profile. Everyone has friends only set on their privacy.
This way lots of little family groups can be set up and hold their own data etc. create events message each other.
Would this work as a family site for lots of families?
Disable the news feeds blog etc to prevent all users viewing cross family data.
Looking forward to your suggestions.
Alia Team
Alia Mar 20 '13
James, sounds good. And should work out.

The only thing that requires modification is registration part.

>>if I set all new sign up users to default content to be only viewed by friends.

You will need to modify the code of the "Privacy" plugin, so that by default all privacy settings are set to "Only friends".

Also it would be a good idea to rename all buttons/text/notifications  to say "Family members" instead of "Friends".

james letts
james letts Mar 20 '13
Many thanks Allia,
Can't seem to find the default value to change in the privacy plugin? Have contacted the developer........
Will change the buttons etc......
What do you think of the chances one family stumbling across another families details and content?
Alia Team
Alia Mar 22 '13
James, giving that privacy will be set to "friends" only families should not come across each other's content.

I recommend testing the newsfeed though, just to make sure nothing private appears there.

james letts
james letts Mar 22 '13
Thanks Aliia,
Sill trying to find the file to change the code's default settings to friends only! Any ideas?
Also to remove the user privacy tab so that users can't change the default friends only privacy.
james letts
james letts Mar 29 '13

Still having a few issues with the site privacy......to only show friends interactions - family members

Changed all the plugin's default values to friends_only

And everything as far I am aware is set as suggested.

Aliia - what did you mean about changing the registration part?

Also, when you click on the members tab - all members are listed - I would only prefer to see friends. Is this possible or maybe disable the members tab altogether? how?

Thank you so much for your all your help so far............

james letts
james letts Mar 30 '13
any ideas appreciated people........thanks in advance

Alia Team
Alia Apr 1 '13

>>Still having a few issues with the site privacy......to only show friends interactions - family members

So you managed to set default privacy? Is this part working well?

>>Aliia - what did you mean about changing the registration part?

I mean assigning default privacy settings upon registration.

>>Also, when you click on the members tab - all members are listed - I would only prefer to see friends. Is this possible or maybe disable the members tab altogether? how?

What about removing current tab ( in admin panel>>pages&menus) and instead of this tab, creating a new menu item linking to yoursitename.com/friends  URL?  You can create new menu item under Pages&menus as well.

Here is how "My Friends" page currently looks like ( under yoursitename.com/friends URL):