We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

When will you have a decent Forum? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Veronica
Veronica Apr 12 '11
This Forum is really a poor mans Forum.

You can't even search for your own posts
or search for a keyword by an author.

Why not use a professional Forum like vBulletin?

Veronica
Veronica Apr 12 '11
Another example of this poor Forum:
I can't see if a reply is from a Oxwall Forum user or a Forum Moderator

Basic functions for a Forum are really missing here
The Forum post is edited by Veronica Apr 12 '11
Den Team
Den Apr 13 '11
Thank for suggestions Veronica.
You are right, there are a lot of missing functions on current forum plugin. And we will add more features in next updates.
Regarding FOrum moderator answer, you can see "team" label on my avatar. On our community it means post by moderator.
Michael Leader
Michael Apr 13 '11
Another way is to get someone to design a bridge for PHPBB and try and integrate that so users have the same username and pwd in both systems. Then design some kind of widget that will interrogate the forum and post statuses on the main page. Notification can be done either by oxwall or within phpbb. Needs development.

Or develop the oxwall forum which I think is preferential!
Veronica
Veronica Apr 15 '11
Yes Oxwall should have a general user authentication bridge to integrate Forums etc.
This bridge should allow for existing Forums to expand their services to Oxwall
ie the user registration data is located in the Forum user table
and also for users registered in Oxwall to access a Forum without a new login to the Forum.

A Forum for Oxwall to be called Forum must have many more basic functions than the current browse type of micro-Forum in Oxwall.

I used to moderate a big vBulletin Forum where my tools were:
Todays posts listing of all subforums
Posts created since my last login in all subforums
In all listings an indicator where I have partcipated in posting in the thread
as well as a listing with all my threads started by me
and all threads where I have been posting

Thread listing backwards ie last post listed first
so you don't have to scroll 200 posts to read the last post

Link to make all posts marked as read without actually reading the post

As a Moderator I used thread splitting a lot because users tend to post new questions in existing threads
so you can create a new thread for the user breaking the rules and include if any replies to his/her post
This will make the Forum easier to read for all users

Pre listing of a post before publishing is also required as Google will eventually pickup a post before editing is finished with funny results when users search via Google

There are many more requirements for a decent Forum this is my start of the requirements listing
The Forum post is edited by Veronica Apr 15 '11
Veronica
Veronica Apr 24 '11
I have a SMF forum too

My users refuse to use the current Oxwall socalled forum
The Forum post is edited by Veronica Apr 24 '11
Sheryl Bright
Sheryl Bright Nov 25 '11
the lack of search is not good...
I'm lucky to have only one post:)
The Forum post is edited by Michael I. Nov 28 '11
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 25 '11
Id personally prefer third party developers to create forum integration plugins.

Sheryl what is with the advertising :(
Lisa
Lisa May 31 '12

HIGHLY interested in improved forum tools (like today's posts / new posts links) - please vote for this in the Oxwall User Voice utility. Here's the link to the item for this to vote on:

http://oxwall.uservoice.com/forums/13756-ideas-for-oxwall/suggestions/2841997-improved-forum-tools-today-s-posts-and-new-pos

carson
carson Feb 19
The Heron Preston hoodie is a coveted fashion staple known for its unique blend of streetwear aesthetics and high-end design. Renowned for its bold graphics, distinctive orange label, and utilitarian-inspired details, the hoodie encapsulates urban chic with a touch of avant-garde flair. Crafted from premium materials, it exudes both comfort and style, making it a go-to choice for fashion enthusiasts worldwide. Whether paired with casual jeans for a laid-back look or dressed up with tailored trousers for an edgy twist, the Heron Preston hoodie effortlessly merges luxury and street culture, cementing its status as a must-have piece in contemporary fashion.