We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Very stressful week, dad ‘fixing’ boiler | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
John
John Mar 22
Early Saturday morning, dad came in my room, woke me & said the boiler wasn’t working. He’d been ‘messing on with it’ for an hour and still not working, so could I find someone to fix it. I got up, saw error code on boiler, tried suggested fixes, nothing, so I started trying to find some to fix it ASAP.
I was getting nowhere, found a website for emergency plumbers and booked a visit.
At dinner time the fella arrived, was a bit baffled, then discovered that the gas supply to the boiler had been turned off. The valve on gas pipe had been turned, which requires a screw driver to do.
Bless him, he was v good & didn’t charge for his time, but, it still cost almost £300.
Sunday, I get up, house is cold. Dad comes down & says he’s been a bit confused. I went in the garage where boiler is. A sun lounger is set up like he’s been sitting in it and when I check the boiler, there’s water underneath.

Dad was a maintenance engineer. He often wakes early to go to loo. Sometimes If it’s cold, he goes to boiler & tries to top it up, sometimes way too much. I assume that’s what he was trying to do when he turned the gas off.

As well as all that, there’s of course been all the constant questions, ‘has someone serviced the boiler, why was there someone here, what’s wrong with the boiler? etc’ every few minutes.
I have to find some way to stop him trying to ‘fix’ it. Only thing I’ve come up with is to get someone to build a lockable cabinet around it.

At the same time as this, my adult autistic child had to leave their flat for a week while bathroom was refitted. They moved to my house, which has been empty for 2 years. Lots of stress & packing & carrying & cleaning & taking cat & well, you can imagine.

This morning I just wanted to run away somewhere to cry & sleep. I’m exhausted & tomorrow I have to move child back.
Sorry, like I said, been a rough week, needed a rant.

If anyone has any ideas re boiler feel free to say. At this point I’m open to anything
x
Pari Palmer
Pari Palmer Mar 23
What a difficult week, I'm not surprised that you are feeling stressed and exhausted  It's a difficult situation regarding the boiler but the only thing I can think of, other than boxing it in, is to maybe stop your dad from being able to go into the garage, if that is possible? Hopefully someone who has had a similar experience will be along with some other suggestions.
Alex
Alex Mar 23
Wow, you have really been through the wringer with that whole boiler issue. That's really frustrating, especially when the plan goes sideways, and family members usually try to help, tending only to make it more difficult.
When I had the similar ordeal, I contacted Boiler repair surrey, to say the least, they were lifesavers. Within a couple of hours, they provided the very prompt service and expertised with my boiler back into work. Worth giving them a call for a quick fix without the headache.