We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

The Keto Diet? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
John
John Mar 22

Anyone tried it?

Success?

Failure? 

In the hospital from it? 

After stepping on the scales last week and topping 300 pounds it's time to get serious. 300 was my hard ceiling, that's it. It's all down from here with a target weight of 225.

I'm two days in to keto. Between just not eating much last week and getting the system cleaned out I'm down 8 pounds. Lots of water and zero processed sugar in the diet. 

Any thoughts? Better ideas? Recipes? 

Brittany Wang
Brittany Wang Mar 23
My wife the Registered Dietitian says this is probably her least favorite diet as it really has a high rebound rate, and people tend to take it as "lets eat all the bacon and eggs!" instead of "lets eat a small amount of chicken and brocolli". I'm going to take a guess that you're probably pretty unhappy right now. You're probably also forgetting things/not thinking clearly. The first stages of a keto diet, at least most that I've seen, limit carbs to a not-dangerous level, but not sufficient to keep the brain happy. Literally. I think my wife was saying at least 60 grams of carbs a day, preferentially in the form of things like rice and beans, vegetables, whole grains, etc. (instead of white bread, twinkies, fried breading) to keep the brain happy. Unless you like being depressed. That being said, if it is working, keep it up. Don't forget your fruits and vegetables. I'm doing a similar thing with the fasting diet, but I'm trying to at least get my carbs on a regular basis (not keeping it up for days at a time).
The Forum post is edited by Brittany Wang Mar 23
Alyvia Lynn
Alyvia Lynn Mar 23
Thanks for chiming in on the keto/atkins diet discussion. It's fascinating to hear about your friend's experience, and I agree that finding a sustainable long-term diet is crucial. Your wife's insights on rebound rates are spot-on; it's a common concern with restrictive diets.
Exploring medical weight loss programs sounds promising, especially with their tailored approach. I'll definitely check out https://thenutritioninsider.com/brands/ for more information. It's inspiring to see everyone sharing their journeys and supporting each other.