We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Painting Advice | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Patty Long
Patty Long Apr 9
Hi,
I am looking to paint my bedroom. I went to B&Q today to buy undercoat, as 1 wall and a small part of another wall have a bright yellow paint currently. I was advised rather then spending money on undercoat, I could use a cheap white emulsion paint to cover the yellow. My logical thinking was I should buy a matt emulsion and the final paint would be silk. I was asked what type of paint I had currently on my wall, which I have no clue. I was then advised if I did a test and put silk on top of matt and you are able to wipe it off, then you currently have matt paint and you can't just put silk on top of matt. So I had bought silk paint for the ceiling and I painted some onto said wall and I was able to wipe it clean off straight away with a wet cloth. Now I'm not sure if that is what I was supposed to do, or whether I was supposed to wait a while, or even use a dry cloth. So this has kinda burst my happy bubble and not that I was excited to paint, but now I really have no enthusiasm. So after all this I just wanted to check, am I OK to go ahead and buy silk emulsion, seeing as that will be the finishing paint I will be using, or do I really need to find out what my current paint is. I didn't realise painting could be some complicated. I have attached a photo of the rather large test patch that I did and this is Dulux Wall and Ceiling paint, dunno if emulsion is thicker and would cover the yellow better. Any advice would be so much appreciated. I'm trying to do this on a budget, otherwise I would just get a painter in to do the job. 20240303_195921.JPG
gua dalupe
gua dalupe Apr 9
I couldn't agree more with the sentiment that you get your deposit back when you leave a rental place looking spick and span.  It's like giving the property a fresh coat of respect, you know?  end of tenancy painting and decorating is very important, it shows the landlord you took good care of the place.

Now, I'm pretty handy with a paintbrush myself, but some repairs might be beyond a weekend warrior's skillset.  For bigger jobs,  calling in a professional is like having a genie in a toolbox – they can fix those tricky things  and save you a bucketload of time and stress.